Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,668   Online: 894

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    Coating Company A's products on Company B's product line would not be the work of a moment.
    Of course you are absolutely right. True... It will probably take years and years if you really want to deliver the same product...

So, Kentmere will continue to be Kentmere, which is why I don't really understand...

Well, all I can say is I'm glad that FotoImpex has resurrected Agfa MCP and MCC -because I've certainly bought my last box of Kentmere Fineprint...though I rather doubt Ilford will be offering it for very long, anyhow
    ...why you will not buy Kentmere from today onwards... (or am I misinterpreting this comment?)

Or are you just expressing the fear that certain products will be discontinued? Might happen, who knows (in mergers or takeovers of two similar companies, this usually happens sooner or later, to a lesser or greater extent), but while it's still around, why not keep using it?

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Leest View Post
    I don't like it. Here is the construction of a monopoly going on and that means UNLIMITED price increases.

-M-
    My thoughts exactly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A monopoly on silver products wouldn't be a monopoly on B&W imaging. If high prices on silver gelatin products pushed people to digital, that would endanger the whole enterprise, so I don't see "unlimited price increases" as likely here.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds good to me. No fears of an 'evil monopoly' here as Ilford have never given me a single reason to call any of their business practices into question. They are good folks and I wish them all the best with the merger. I've been meaning to try some Kentmere as well, looks like this might motivate me a bit..

Shooter
    Medium Format

Strength in Unity

This will make Ilford stronger! Me think this is a good news. The price increase of darkroom materials is unavoidable in this situation of shrinking market. Is time to face the truth and to admit, at least in front of the mirror, that our hobby is expensive! That's why it gives such good results and make us so happy. I'm in love with it and if I have to sacrifice some more money to make it live, I'll do it! I'll rather start to paint then, converting myself to digital. My only hope is that the Kentmere products will stay alive and developing, thus giving us more options for artistic interpretation!
    A fool with mission!

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    In view of the Kodak statement that's just been posted its good to have some good news.
    Ian
    Perhaps if Simon has a few quid spare in his back pocket he can follow through and snap up a bargain at Rochester...
    Seems to me like a good move all round. I don't imagine that Kentmere have been having an easy time of it and a merger with Ilford looks on the face of it to be a good safety net for both of them as well as all of us! Whilst Ilford are a friendly, helpful bunch, let's not forget that they are a business, so yes, they will be looking to sell their products for the maximum amount they can (wouldn't we all?) but in the current climate for me they already don't have any competition (just try buying Kentmere in Plymouth) and any rises will always be tempered by potential customer losses to the d*****l market.
    The very best of luck to both companies!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of this. Ilford/ Harman pi**ed me off when they halted the production of the Cooltone developer. How many Kentmere products will no longer be cost effective?

Obviously early days to answer this, but will any old Kentmere products be resurrected? The Art range of papers for example? Foma have similar products so not sure why Ilford/ Kentmere can't use a similar method?

Hopefully the acquisition will lead to increased profits.
    Have they really dropped Cooltone? This was an excellent path to cool prints on MGWT.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know, something just occurred to me and I'm sort of suprised nobody (AFAIK) raised earlier:

Kentmere does have one thing that Ilford I suspect would like to get it hands on:

UK-based coating facilities that are owned and not leased...

Ilford has a long-term (20 year?) lease on its present facilities. Most long-term leases are tied (in some fashion) to the value of the property. Given the incredible real estate appreciation in the UK over the past few years; I can't imagine that lease is healthy for Ilford. Maybe this acquisition is Ilford's "escape plan".

I'm glad of that if it's true. But it doesn't change the fact that I'm done with Kentmere as I have a tough time believing FinePrint will still be around for much longer.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

I wonder if the the knew Ilford/Kentmere is going to have a presence at the Javitz show this weekend? Ilford was one of about 8-10 people I was going to see. Most of the show is digital disposable products and companies. I don't think Kentmere was there last year. And Freestyle wasn't there either which was surprising being one of the biggest resellers at this point, seems like it would have been to their advantage.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    WOW

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin