Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,414   Online: 692

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Simon,
    I'm particularly interested in graded papers. Kentmere has stopped producing grades 1,3 and 4. Are there any plans afoot to either start producing them again or simply remove their graded paper and start producing Gallerie in grade 4 (he says hopefully)?
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    Nobody should feel they know ANYTHING about the relative health of any of these companies. We'd been told for the past few years that all was well at Kentmere with their new production facility, leaner staff, etc., and a very dedicated photo-enthusiast owner.

Well if all of the above were true, why did this deal get made?
    Without wishing to pretend I know anything about this specific deal, I've been involved with more M&A activity than I would wish for, and I can assure you that not all mergers or acquisitions are driven by desperation or failure.

Sure, some are - I've seen enough of that kind. I've seen the kind though where it just makes sense for both parties. Economies of combining businesses, while always massively overstated to the stockmarket, really do exist - yes, unfortunately that often means in terms of staff (why have two HR, accounts departments,) but also (plucking things out of the air,) say, increased buying power on the silver markets, distribution channel efficiencies (that is one helluva big warehouse & shipping facility in Mobberley,) and so on.

In other words, it is entirely possible for two successful, rationally run businesses to come to the conclusion that a deal is there to be done to create one successful, rationally run business.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

I cannot comment further at this time about any details as I am sure you realise, what I can do is point out one section in the press release 'It will continue to offer the same resin coated and fibre based monochrome papers'
    I think that is a very clear statement of intent.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    Without wishing to pretend I know anything about this specific deal, I've been involved with more M&A activity than I would wish for, and I can assure you that not all mergers or acquisitions are driven by desperation or failure.

Sure, some are - I've seen enough of that kind. I've seen the kind though where it just makes sense for both parties. Economies of combining businesses, while always massively overstated to the stockmarket, really do exist - yes, unfortunately that often means in terms of staff (why have two HR, accounts departments,) but also (plucking things out of the air,) say, increased buying power on the silver markets, distribution channel efficiencies (that is one helluva big warehouse & shipping facility in Mobberley,) and so on.

In other words, it is entirely possible for two successful, rationally run businesses to come to the conclusion that a deal is there to be done to create one successful, rationally run business.
    A very sound post.

My intent was more to state that small, privately-owned concerns do not need to disclose, in detail, how their operations are faring and no company really is under much of an obligation to disclose their true intent - in advance - as to how they will be servicing their customers.

But I'm still finished with Kentmere and will be using FotoImpex's MCP and MCP for my shorter-toe paper option.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Leest View Post
    I don't like it. Here is the construction of a monopoly going on and that means UNLIMITED price increases.

-M-
    "I love the smell of rats in the morning. It smells like...
    creativity! errr....money!!!"
    just kidding
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    WOW
    What Bob said...

Seriously, Simon, there will be people who will wail that this is the beginning of the end, and those who will herald it as a grand beginning.
    For me, I will just say that I have the greatest confidence in the Ilford products I use, and wish Harman the best of luck with this new acquisition.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been using Kentmere/Luminos papers for about a decade. The surfaces are wonderful, toning superb and of course, tonality. I'm thrilled to know they will continue and hopefully move from strength to strength with the additional support of Ilford behind them. One comment- my two favourites are available only as either single grade or 2&3-any chance of expanding the offerings?
    Russ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I said earlier that this type of merger is going to take place. I believe I coined a name like Fuilfordak or some such for the emerging giant.

Yes, this move is logical, and no, Kodak is not exiting the film market which represents $1B / year income which is 50% of its income. I would guess that Ilford and Kentmere combined don't come up to that figure. (Sorry Simon, I have absolutely no idea if I am even close.)

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What it seems like to me, is that it shows Ilford is making enough money (profit) to be able to invest in an acquisition. This is not bad news.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ilford "could" now have a venue to market lower-cost film (not paper) products under the Kentmere brand without diluting the market for Ilford films. Kentmere is still in the private label business, along with the Kentmere brand of papers.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin