Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,906   Posts: 1,555,859   Online: 858

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Interesting is that Kentmere's management has shown good business sense in the past, being privately owned, and selling off to Ilford to me sounds like they are not confident they could continue in the long term and are selling up while they can get a reasonable price.
    The local newspaper, in Kendal, on the 5th Oct indicated Harman approached Kentmere with a view to taking them over. So perhaps you are reading things entirely the wrong way.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post

P.S. Cate & others: yes: Cooltone developer is no more - Simon G. confirmed in another thread (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/4...-required.html).
    Pity. It's frustrating and disappointing when you find combinations that work for you. Should be used to it by now, I suppose! Thanks for the info and link, Bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Harmilfordmere

Sounds British enough.

I wish everything would stay the same long enough for me adjust. After a long hiatus from B&W, I settled on Kodak Polymax FA and Forte Polywarmtone papers. That combo did not last long. Now I use Kentmere FP and my stock of PWT.

At least this is progress. We could be reading another business obituary. Please don't change the Kentmere papers or drastically increase the price.

Kentmere just started selling Kodak formula chemistry through Freestyle. I wonder if that will continue or be redundant eg, Kentmere RST plus the new Ilford selenium toner.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ironically I just tried my first kentmere paper last week (fineprint FC fibre). Nice stuff; the glossy coating kind of feels like RC paper which is weird, but the prints look good.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Leest View Post
    I don't like it. Here is the construction of a monopoly going on and that means UNLIMITED price increases.

-M-
    Face it; traditional B&W is becoming a fringe market. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually we do just have a single supplier - probably Ilford.

It's an artistic niche that's not going to disappear by any stretch, but it's nothing like it would have been 30 years ago.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Consolidation of the marketplace is inevitable and, in many cases, a good thing. I would rather have more photographic choices but I want viable producers/manufacturers more. Struggling vendors who are cutting corners and making unreliable products isn't good for anyone, not that Kentmere or Ilford currently fall into this category.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's bad news; another good business swallowed.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kentmere AND Ilford...

...not Ilford eats Kentmer for breakfast. If the papers currently being produced by Kentmere as well as Ilford continue to exist side-by-side, how can this be a bad move?

Perhaps with new distribution channels in the US and other parts of the world, Kentmere paper can be made available to more customers, not necessarily via mailorder. Except for Fotokemika Varycon and Emaks, I purchase all of my paper at the local store. If they add Kentmere to the line-up, I'll purchase Fineprint VC and Bromide paper from them too. Currently they only have Ilford paper.

I do see how competition from others might see difficult times with Bergger having their paper produced by Harman. That leaves Fotokemika, Foma, Slavich, and Fotospeed as the contenders for the rest of the market share (please fill in if I missed any of significance).

It certainly appears Simon thinks it's good for Harman, so congratulations to them. Joint effort and shared intellectual property might actually benefit both camps.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Consolidation of the marketplace is inevitable and, in many cases, a good thing.
    It may be inevitable, but I'm not convinced it's a good thing, I've always enjoyed and seen value in diversity. Although it may have to be a part of the process which is the last ditch attempt to save darkroom ways - successful I hope - being an idealist I have difficulty seeing things always in purely economic terms.

I suppose we are eventually heading towards a narrow range of goods, as less and less items become economically acceptable propositions to producers (which I do think is part of the process and will happen later if not sooner. If there comes a time when there is only one paper and one developer left I will probably give up printing).

It may be the way to go, and best accepted, just as Kentmere's future may be better as part of Ilford - but I'm not going to hail it with enthusiasm.

Images
    Look on the bright side of life, Kentmere products have a chance of surviving instead of becoming extinct. POWER TO HARMAN! Support a winner use Ilford products, feed the business.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin