Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,384   Online: 698

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One or two suggestions in the thread that Kentmere was in, or must have been in, some sort of trouble.

As far as I am aware Kentmere is in excellent financial state and an extremely well run and prudent company. The fact that there has been such a take over is, I think, a major vote of confidence in the traditional market. Somone approved the finance to buy a healthy company, not one in trouble.

The other very useful aspect is, as some have mentioned, the additional production plant and capacity which I would imagine will give the new company greater flexibility, and most importantly, economies of scale.

I like the comments from Ilford about Kentmere remaining largely independent - contrary to some remarks, I see this happening quite a lot and brand identity is very important. As an example, Aston Martin cars were until recently owned by Ford. The company can benefit greatly from the economies of scale, improve it products and ultimately make more money.

In addition, geographically, Ilford and Kentmere are not all that far apart.

I think that this, coupled with the statement from Ilford about continuing to expand through acquisition, may mean that they will one day become the largest producer of traditional photographic products in the West.

On a really positive note, it means that I can now admit to Simon that I prefer Kentmere VC Select RC to Ilford MG IV as my everyday standard RC paper!

Final thought - when are you going to bid for Kodak's traditional division?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The other aspect you have to look at is purchasing power. With the increase in silver prices plus the minimum orders required for paper rolls etc. this merger will give Ilford/Kentmere more leverage when buying raw product. In addition it will allow them to meet minimum quantity requirements for common materials.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dear Simon,

Does that mean that from now on Kentmere papers are going to be (not) imported by the Greek importer of Ilford in my country ??? If that is so, then this is really bad news for Greek photographers...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou View Post
    Dear Simon,

Does that mean that from now on Kentmere papers are going to be (not) imported by the Greek importer of Ilford in my country ??? If that is so, then this is really bad news for Greek photographers...

I think nothing will change on the level of supplies. I don't think it's Ilford's intention to force there products to buyers, in that case they would not do a joint venture with Kentmere but instead of that they would make sure that their suppliers would only sell Ilford products.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think this is good news. The alternative would probably be Kentmere disappearing altogether.

Usually when one company is taken over by another, there is not a sudden change in policies and products. So long as the company is being run properly by it's management, they are usually left to get on with it with minimal interference from the parent company.

The company I work for has been bought and sold a few times and we still have the same management and product lines. It's only when you start reporting massive losses that things start to change.

Anyway, good luck to both Ilford and Kentmere.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having worked as an accountant for companies that have been taken over I know what it feels like. The best scenario is that there is little change as has already been stated by Steve, that situation is dependant on the company taken over is a well run and successful organisation.

Having worked in the photographic industry for many years I know that Kentmere have always been a well managed company who produced a good range of products that in the main complimented what is available from it's competitors. The rejuvenated Harman/Ilford company are owned by a group of people who I'm privileged to count as very good friends and excellent businessmen who are committed to silver photography simply because they are passionate about it. Yes they will grow their digital business because they have the facilities to do that and make the all important profit. However,that growth will not be at the expense of silver, they will grow side by side.

Just three short years ago many here on APUG welcomed and supported the action of the people who saved Ilford from extinction, so lets get behind them again and trust their judgement in setting out to further stabilise and grow two companies who will provide traditional darkroom products for many years to come.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some positive points here, and I do hope this is the kind of take-over that is a continuing partnership. It sounds like it should be.

I will certainly be backing both by continuing to buy both llford and Kentmere products (once I've got over the shock of finding my favourite developer for the past 18 months has been withdrawn, that is!!).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the pm Simon explaining the Cooltone dev situation and I hope as you suggest will be available for a good while yet until stocks are depleted. Time to start a fashion for split warmtone/ cooltone dev techniques to revive the interest!
    Last edited by Gary Holliday; 10-16-2007 at 10:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    On a really positive note, it means that I can now admit to Simon that I prefer Kentmere VC Select RC to Ilford MG IV as my everyday standard RC paper!

Me too!

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ilford+Kentmere= 2 stronger companies, with better market access for Kentmere. This kind of activity shows the paper market still has a pulse.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin