Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,594   Online: 828

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So Ilford, excuse me, Harman, now owns Ilford, Kentmere and Forte ?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    So Ilford, excuse me, Harman, now owns Ilford, Kentmere and Forte ?
    No, no-one "owns" Forte, it went out-of-business.

Bergger, a French company, used Forte for the manufacture of its products marketed under the Bergger name (paper and film), with Forte out-of-business, Bergger has now secured a deal with Ilford/Harmon to make their products. It is my understanding these will be as close to the Forte produced Bergger products as possible. But Ilford/Harmon did NOT purchase Forte.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    thanks for clarifying that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best wishes to Ilford Harman on this aquisition of Kentmere who have some seriously superb products. I do hope you will continue with all of them.

Fintan

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    Best wishes to Ilford Harman on this aquisition of Kentmere who have some seriously superb products. I do hope you will continue with all of them.

Fintan

Same here-an Azo like paper would be great too (and the return of Art Classic).
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They say the only thing constant is change so I guess we will have to get used to it. This could be a good thing, I just hope Harmon doesn't get too large and bloated. Maybe in the long run we will see some interesting stuff. I am just happy someone is still making paper.

Right now I am using Kentmere almost exclusively. I hope they don't change it, but if they do I'll move on. My biggest concern is the price. In the US the price of paper has gone higher and higher. Kentmere is still reasonable.

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    No, no-one "owns" Forte, it went out-of-business.

Bergger, a French company, used Forte for the manufacture of its products marketed under the Bergger name (paper and film), with Forte out-of-business, Bergger has now secured a deal with Ilford/Harmon to make their products. It is my understanding these will be as close to the Forte produced Bergger products as possible. But Ilford/Harmon did NOT purchase Forte.
    No, there is a group very much in possession of Forte. The new owners have simply ceased operations since they are more interested in redeveloping the factory site than producing B&W film and paper.

Any judgements on the "Forte-worthiness" of Ilford-produced Bergger products will simply need to wait until those products appear and are tested. Bergger did little more than produce clones before and I suspect there track record will remain intact...perhaps I'll be proven wrong.
    Last edited by aldevo; 10-16-2007 at 09:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeyes View Post
    Look on the bright side of life, Kentmere products have a chance of surviving instead of becoming extinct. POWER TO HARMAN! Support a winner use Ilford products, feed the business.
    There is aboslutely no evidence available to anybody that Kentmere either did or did not need to sell their business to stay in operation. We will never know the true reasons for the acquisition; they are both privately held concerns and they have no obligations to report on the health of their finances to the general public.

I don't see it as a positive; and I'm no longer buying Kentmere. Maybe they will keep Fineprint in production and maybe they will not.

Since the Fotoimpex MCP and MCC is restarting production (and I liked the Agfa MCP/MCC more than Fineprint, anyhow) I think it has better prospects to stick around.

Others can do as they wish, naturally.
    Last edited by aldevo; 10-16-2007 at 09:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Ilford "could" now have a venue to market lower-cost film (not paper) products under the Kentmere brand without diluting the market for Ilford films. Kentmere is still in the private label business, along with the Kentmere brand of papers.
    We can speculate all we want but Ilford is certainly out of the private label business. It certainly wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Arista II (rebranded Kentmere Fineprint from Freestyle Photographic) disappear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not worried in fact this could work well for Ilford and Kentmere. They can get better deals on raw materials, save money in the back office and leverage logsitics. The smart thing to do is to continue running seperate manufacturing facilities for the reason pointed out just in case there is trouble with one line, you can rely on the other.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin