Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,371   Online: 1104

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

HARMAN technology Acquires Kentmere Photographic

Two leading names in photographic and inkjet products join forces.

HARMAN technology Limited, the company behind ILFORD Photo and HARMAN Photo, has announced the addition of Kentmere Photographic Limited to its business. The move, which comes following a period of extensive negotiations, is being welcomed as a good thing for the brands involved as well as for the wider photographic community.

Following the buy-out, HARMAN is keen to stress that the Kentmere brand will remain relatively unchanged. It will continue to offer the same resin coated and fibre based monochrome papers and inkjet products, whilst employing the same marketing approach.

In fact, the key difference will be that the Kentmere brand will now enjoy the benefits of being backed by a larger organisation. In particular, the brand will have access to the additional expertise and investment, as well as the established export channels ( to markets such as the United States ), to take its success further.

Speaking of the deal, HARMAN's Chairman and Managing Director, Phil Harris said : " HARMAN has an acquisitive growth policy and is keen to be seen as the natural home for high-quality imaging products. We have bought Kentmere recognising it is a strong brand with a massive amount of potential and knowing we can add what's required to help bring that potential to fruition. Our size, established infrastructure and ability to invest in the Kentmere brand, will help to open new doors and opportunities for its products".

"At the same time, Kentmere will also add an extra dimension to our business. It will extend our product portfolio and allows us to target an even wider range of the market".

"Ultimately, the addition of Kentmere Photographic to the HARMAN technology fold represents a marriage of ideals, a combining of strengths and a chance to share knowledge and expertise. All of which can only be beneficial to customers and the photographic community as a whole.

HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kentmere papers have been on my to-do list for a long while now, I read an article in a magazine from the 70's stressing their quality even back then. It's good to see ILFORD and Kentmere expanding, it seems there's a strong future for both.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In view of the Kodak statement that's just been posted its good to have some good news.

Thanks for letting us know so quickly

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 10-15-2007 at 05:02 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add link

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I take this as good news... One thing I was dwelling on during the Mobberley tour was how dangerous it was only having one coating facility (disaster recovery planning is part of the day job, tragically this is the sort of thing I worry about); I'm sure transferring production from one to the other would require an enormous amount of work, but if nothing else it provides some revenue generating capacity for the group if something 'bad' happened to one or other plant.

Someone's DR plan just got better anyway - assuming Harman have such a thing .

I just bought my first pack of Kentmere paper last week as well... Maybe I should wait a while before I invest in any Fuji B&W products lest that instigates a mega-merger
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I think it's a good news....

Stefano
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't like it. Here is the construction of a monopoly going on and that means UNLIMITED price increases.

-M-
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This seems like great news in at least 2 areas. First, Ilford is consolidating its share of the traditional photography market, which should help it stay strong and viable. Second, their acquisitions of products that have not been marketed in the US is good news for us Yanks envious of the wider range of products available in the UK. Go Ilford!

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure what to make of this. Ilford/ Harman pi**ed me off when they halted the production of the Cooltone developer. How many Kentmere products will no longer be cost effective?

Obviously early days to answer this, but will any old Kentmere products be resurrected? The Art range of papers for example? Foma have similar products so not sure why Ilford/ Kentmere can't use a similar method?

Hopefully the acquisition will lead to increased profits.

Shooter
    Large Format
    One-stop shop for me. I've standardized on FP-4 for all my film formats, and Kentmere papers for most of my printing. My only worry is relying on one Company like many did with Kodak. Hope the merger goes well for all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One major advantage to Ilford is far greater flexibility particularly as they have also previously announced they will be producing materials for Bergger. Hopefully it will mean a wider range of materials remains in what is a shrinking market.

Gary mentions Cooltone being dropped, but while paper manufacturers have disappeared there is now an even greater choice of B&W chemicals on the market than in the past. Compared to 20 or 30 years ago the number of chemical manufacturers and more particularly their availability in overseas markets has risen.

Ian

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin