Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,380   Online: 964

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Slavich Silk Surface Paper

Silk surface is back! Well, it probably never went anyway over at Slavich, but these weird, textured photos you have in your photo album from the seventies were using that surface.

Too bad we can't get it on color paper, now THAT would be retro.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yeah! I can't exactly remember the texture but this looks worth a try. I already expressed my liking of Slavich in a couple other threads. Thanks for bringing attention to this Michael.

Also note that its a warmtone chloro-bromide emulsion. This stuff may be really interesting.
    Last edited by Alex Hawley; 10-17-2007 at 11:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add sentence
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although I am a glossy or simigloss person, I just ordered a box to reprint some portraits from the 70s. I use Ansco. Zonal Pro and Clayton P20, what develope for warm tone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul, Ansco 130 with a subsequent dip in selenium or polysulfide should give you all the warmth you want.

Please post some scans when you can!

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    Also note that its a warmtone chloro-bromide emulsion.
    This stuff may be really interesting.
    Long on the chloro likely. I found when testing for
    it's demand of fixer that it takes the least of the four
    papers tested. Kentmere Bromide needs nearly twice as
    much fix to clear while Arista and Emaks fall between.
    All DW FB Glossy Grade 2 papers.

Not unexpected results. Slavich claims the least silver
    content of any paper for which I've seen data. That alone
    reduces the amount of fixer needed. Bromided silver complexes
    less readily. So the more fixer. Dan

Silk Surface

Who sells it?
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestyle sells it.

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought some out of curiosity, and in researching I ran across this Web site on the paper, with some tips on getting the most out of it. I can't vouch for any of the information on that site, since my paper has yet to arrive; I just thought I'd pass on the URL in case anybody else would find it useful.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    I just thought I'd pass on the URL in case anybody else would find it useful.
    Thanks for posting the link. At this point, the Slavich knowledge base is pretty young, so anyone's opinions and experiences are helpful. From this short article, it appears this paper has some interesting development quirks. Onward and upward!
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I've seen a couple of samples of this paper over at Freestyle and it doesn't look all that warm to me...kind of like Varycon, actually (no apparent brighteners, natural white base). The surface is definitely different from lustre or semi-matte papers...its pattern does actually sort of look like silk, but a bit flattened. Since this is a piece of paper and not a textured fabric, I didn't think that was all that surprising. It's somewhat on the glossy side, so I doubt this would be usable for hand coloring. I haven't seen any lith or toned prints on it (the guys at Freestyle said they haven't had the chance to test it for those yet), but if it behaves like Slavich's other papers--meaning quite good--I imagine it should be pretty promising. Nice tonality as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin