Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,370   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

8x10 Film ID? Could this be TMAX 100? No notches.

I have some mystery film that I might try to expose but I was hoping to get some insight from the experts here first. Has TMAX 100 ever been made in 8x10 sheets with no code notches on a relatively thin film base (thinner than ilford anyway)?

Details:
    I got this in a set of 8x10 film holders off ebay. Don't know if it's been damaged by light or not but from the darkslide orientation seems to be unexposed. I pulled a sheet out, and it's got a very thin base (seems thinner than any of the 4x5 stuff I've used), has a fairly light purple layer on it, and is brown on the other side. (hah, I know). Maybe this will be helpful though:

The holder I got the film out of says TMAX 100 on it (permanantly, so who knows what's really in there), and there are no code notches anywhere on the film. It was inserted "brown side down" with the light purple coating forward. Brown layer and purple layers seemed to wash off in water.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sheet film supplied by Kodak has always been on thick base, with notch codes. The only way you might find Kodak made film in sheet sizes without notch codes and on thinner base, is if it was cut-down aerial mapping film stock, cut down from long rolls.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Okay, thanks for the info. The cut is pretty exact and looks machine cut - doesn't look like it was run through a guillotine or anything like that.

I think it's pretty obviously B&W so I guess I'll just give it a go with some reasonable exposure & development and see what pops up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There have been third-party "converters" over the years that would buy large rolls of film and "finish" them into the final sizes. Cutting, packaging, etc. Ultrafine Online is one. Freestyle, I believe used to to this years ago, also.

Maco does this in Germany, or has this done for them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear walter23,

I have purchased ortho/litho film comes on a really thin base and has no notches. Just a thought.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear walter23,

I have purchased ortho/litho film comes on a really thin base and has no notches. Just a thought.

Neal Wydra
    When I heard the description, thin base, brown/purple/ no notches, that was my exact thought. Orth-Litho.

That means real slow, like 3 to 12 asa/iso , and special devopment, if you want a tonal scale. If you're still interested, do a thread search on APHS or ortho-litho.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 10-18-2007 at 06:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, same here. Probably some sort of ortho/litho film. Bought a pack of 8x10 recently and it fits the description. Rate it anywhere from 3 to 6 and develop it in very dilute Dektol for something that begins to approach pictorial contrast. It can be good for making alt. process prints which require higher contrast negatives.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ahh, we'll see what happens then. I went out and shot a couple sheets (ratty bellows, homemade lens and all) and I'm developing them right now. If this doesn't work I'll try 'em in dektol, though if you're right I will have way underexposed them. No matter, just trying to empty the holders out without totally wasting free film

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yup, lith film. Thanks for the info. I developed a sheet just now for 7 mins in Ilfosol-S and it's wicked high contrast, not exactly two tone but pretty damned close.

I'll see if I can salvage the rest in dilute dektol or something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    walter

i have a whole box of tri x that
    has no notch codes. it did happen
    from time to time
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin