Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,854   Posts: 1,582,921   Online: 992

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

shelf life of HC110 - how long is "indefinite"?

When cleaning out at the lab, 2 bottles of HC110 were found. Both are full (orangy, syrupy), but with no seal. Would they still be good? They don't look like current label styles and I really don't know how old they are - but probably more than 8 years. Should I try them or is it really taking a chance?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mix some up, do a clip test, try out on a test roll of film you don't care about.

Any doubt, pitch it. It's pretty cheap stuff, far cheaper than the value of a roll of film with prized or hard-won images on it.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For undiluted HC-110, indefinite is pretty much what it says. If the syrup looks good, it should be good. As Mike says, it always helps to do a taste test.

You occasionally see threads where people knock down HC-110, but I really like working with it. Recently I've started using dilution h (1+62) It's a good way to increase your control over the process. (Just don't us dil-h for Cube 400... that would be 28 minutes you will never get back.)

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    When cleaning out at the lab, 2 bottles of HC110 were found. Both are full (orangy, syrupy), but with no seal. Would they still be good? They don't look like current label styles and I really don't know how old they are - but probably more than 8 years. Should I try them or is it really taking a chance?
    Only 8 years old? - it should still be fine - but as others have advised, take a sample from the bottle (just a few ml will be enough) and test it with a small piece of exposed film. If it blackens the film, I would smile and go for it.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    Be sure to mix your test sample with a bit of water. Otherwise, you might think the syrup is no good. If you put a drop of the syrup on a piece of film leader and wait a while, then add a drop of water, you will see what I mean.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

don't mix the stock solution formula on the bottle

Water is what really kills this off. I go straight from the thick go to the final diluation.

For me that is 30mL of straight to 1L water to yield my dilution B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's some Ilfotec HC in my darkroom that still seems fine, I think its 21 years old. Ilfotec HC is the Ilford equivalent of HC110.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A bottle of stock (not syrup) stored under abominable conditions was still just fine after nine years. I plan to check it again in 2009 or thereabouts, and every nine years thereafter...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guess I'll try some then. I'm glad I didn't say to throw it out.
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Once you finish your stash of "vintage" HC-110 be sure and redo your development time tests with the "New" HC-110. Somewhere along the line the formulation (or at least the color) changed slightly. Good luck
    John Bowen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin