Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,561   Online: 1001

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Forte Fortepan 400 Good film or bad film?

What is your experience with Forte Fortepan 400? How does it compare to Tri-X and HP-5 with respect to grain, tonal range and accutance? What developer would you recommend for best results? I want to use it for street shooting under a wide variety of lighting conditions.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Karl,

Grainy, not very sharp, doesn't push outstandingly well, lovely tonality. Devs well in almost everything.

Cheers,

R.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not a favorite of mine
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not a favorite, but tolerably ok. Worth it for the price if the work isn't too demanding of it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Note that Forte has gone under. Although I'm sure there's Fortepan 400 still in the supply line, I don't know how long it'll last. I therefore wouldn't recommend getting too attached to the film. If you happen to acquire some at a good price, you might as well use it, but if you want to settle on a film for long-term use, I'd pick something else. If you fall in love with it, stock up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wasn't it just repackaged AGFA APX 400? Not sure it it was actually a Forte emulsion.

Shooter
    35mm
    No, Forte was independent and had their own emulsions. I believe the former "J&C Classic Pan" was rebadged Fortepan.

The confusion might be because Freestyle has/had the "Arista II" line in 35mm, which says "Made in Germany", which probably is/was Agfa.

Their Arista.EDU line (which they don't appear to have anymore in 35mm) says/said "Made in Hungary", which would have been Forte.

Their Arista.EDU Ultra line, which is current, is rebadged Foma, who show no signs of going under yet

Confused yet?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Experience With Astra.edu 4x5 film

I got a box of this film to see if I could reduce film costs in 4x5. Answer, don't even consider it if you value the quailty of your work It is awful!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried some in 35mm just for the hell of it. Pretty cheap from Freestyle. I second Roger's opinion.
    If you are doing street shooting under a wide range of lighting conditions I would use Tri-X & then move to Neopan 1600 for low light.
    I do plan to try Forte 400 in 120, also some Foma. Not because I think they will become my main films but just to discover what looks they have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I added Forte Fortepan 400 to title...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin