Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,521   Posts: 1,572,240   Online: 843

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Glo in the dark timer

I HAVE AN INLARGER TIMER WITH A GLO IN THE DARK FACE. WHAT SHOULD I DO WHEN LOADING AND DEVELOPING FILM? IT DOES REPRESENT VISIBLE LIGHT AFTER ALL.

Shooter
    35mm
    First, please turn off your caps lock. All-caps is considered shouting.

Second, chances are the amount of light from a glow-in-the-dark face on a timer wouldn't cause problems for paper unless you get the paper very close to the timer. For added safety, try to position the equipment such that the timer's face doesn't point directly at any point where your paper will be. For instance, you might raise the timer a foot or two above the level of the enlarger, and position the timer so that paper never directly crosses its path, to minimize exposure when you're putting the paper on the easel.

FWIW, I've got a Philips PCS130 enlarger with a PCS150 light source. The PCS150's control box has four lighted dials. This isn't just glow-in-the-dark stuff; the dials actually have low-wattage bulbs under them. When I first got the thing, I was concerned that they'd cause problems, but I've noticed no fogging because of these dials. My PCS150 is placed about a foot to the right and above the enlarger's baseboard, and my paper safe is to the left of the enlarger, so the dials don't shine directly on the paper at any point. This seems to be sufficient protection. Although I've not done safelight tests on the dials themselves, I have done safelight tests for my overall level of darkroom lighting, with the PCS150 turned on, and I've found no problems. If the lighted dials of my PCS150 don't cause fog, I doubt if a glow-in-the-dark dial would.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    He asked about film, not paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just cover the face with a piece of cloth or black paper etc - it is quite possibly not a problem at a few yards/metres away, but better safe than sorry.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a different but similar question:

How about a luminous watch (e.g. Luminox diver's watch) in a changing bag with film?

I always take it off, and always wonder if I'm being smart or stupid when I do.

RFXB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never seen any sign of film fogging with a Gralab timer about three feet away. Even with 400 speed film
    juan

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to remember a recent thread were somebody his films were strangely fogged by his watch...check the archives (if you know how search well..;-)..)

Best,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Rolleiflexible View Post
    I have a different but similar question:

How about a luminous watch (e.g. Luminox diver's watch) in a changing bag with film?

I always take it off, and always wonder if I'm being smart or stupid when I do.

RFXB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've experienced no film fogging from my Gralab timer which is wall mounted about 4 feet away from where I handle raw film. I still cover the face though, because it makes me feel more comfortable. I have seen a luminous wrist watch fog film, so removing the watch is the smart move.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I cover mine with a towel when loading film, however this is probably not even necessary. What I always forget about is the glow in the dark ring on my fujinon ex enlarger lens. After loading up some film I always notice it glowing away at me but its never had any effect at about 2 feet away.

Shooter
    Medium Format

glow in the dark

I covered my timeOlite which definitely caused film fog at 3 feet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin