Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,815   Online: 740

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paper Developer Question for Kentmere Users

In my quest to find the right fibre paper for me, I have been doing "taste tests" off and on.

I picked up a packet of Kentmere Fineprint VC FB Glossy paper last night, when I got home I did a quick look up with the British and American sites and found there was a difference of opinion on paper developers. I use Dektol at 1:2 I found that the British site was lukewarm on this particular chemical (recommending other developers including one I stopped using) and the American site says, yes it's ok.

Of course on another part of the Kentmere USA site under their new chemicals section and they make a Dektol clone which I assue they would like to sell you when you buy Kentmere paper.

Am I cool with Dektol with Kentmere Fineprint VC FB?
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've also been using a two developer method: Selectol-Soft 1:1 (30-60secs) Dektol 1:2 (remainder of time to 2min) with Kentmere paper. I have been happy with the results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dektol has been OK for every paper I've ever tried. It may not be the best, but it's always produced images I'm not ashamed of. If you have it, use it. After using it for awhile, you may decide you would like a quality that some other developer would give.
    juan

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used PQ Universal a lot which is great with just about everything (also Beers and amidol for FB-Kentona is dynamite with amidol).
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dektol should be fine. It's worked fine with every other paper I've tried it with.
    I use Ansco 130 glycin developer with both the variable contrast papers and the graded Kentona and Bromide. Very good combination.
    You may have to tweak your printing significantly to get a print that resembles any other VC paper with the Fineprint. Blacks are highly intense (beautiful) and the whites are crisp as crisp will get. It's great paper, but different.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Ansco 130 (from PF) on my Kentmere Bromide, and have no complaints.

I did my tests once between Dektol, PolymaxT, and Ansco 130, and that's the order in which they are increasingly better. Dektol works, but I could extract a little bit more tone separation with the other two, and Ansco 130 wins hands down. It's as if I discovered grey tones I hadn't seen before!

PolymaxT is a good compromise. It's easy to find, easy to mix (liquid) and gives better tone separation than Dektol. Plus, you have a dead neutral tone, so if you don't use selenium, you'll have as little as possible of green cast.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Am I cool with Dektol with Kentmere Fineprint VC FB?
    Yes.

But if you want to get HOT try Ansco 130. Either the 'store bought' or the enhanced Clarke variant for home brew.

I've found the Ansco 130 variant brings a little more seperation within the rich shadow detail.

The paper is wonderful in anything. I hope ILFORD/Harman won't screw it up.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bruce, where can I find the frormula for the Clarke variant? TIA
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Bruce, where can I find the frormula for the Clarke variant? TIA
    Ansco 130 - Evan Clarke

To make 2 Liter stock

Distilled water 52-c --- 1,400 mL
    Metol - 4.4 g
    Sodium Sulfite - 100 g
    Hydroquione - 22 g
    Sodium Carbonate - 160 g Anhy or 187 g Mono
    Glycin - 22 g
    1% Benzotriazole Solution - 30 cc
    Cold water to 2,000 mL.

Dilute 1 + 1 for use. Develop 1-1/2 minutes room temperature.

No bromide is needed. Glycin and 1% Benzo replace it.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bromophen

I've settled on Ilford's Bromophen as my standard print developer, and it works quite well with Kentmere Fineprint, which is my fiber paper of choice. I've also developed the Fineprint in 130, which results in noticeably higher contrast. I see no reason why Dektol would not be a good match.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin