Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,809   Online: 906

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Question on developing Arista film...

Good morning ladies and gents! Hmmm... okay, it's technically 12:21PM so I guess I should just say good afternoon and drink some more coffee!

Have a question to offer up. I recently purchased some Arista Edu. Ultra 100 in both the 4x5 and the 120 to experiment with. The 4x5 was to cut down to 3.25x4.25. The 120 was just to get the purchase price up over the required amount so I could have the order shipped.

That being said I went out yesterday and burned through a roll of the 120 in hopes of coming in and developing the film at work today. BUT.... I now find that there is not a recommended development time listed for this souped in HC110 dil. B. Has anyone had any experience with this combination and can you offer up any advice?? I would just experiment a bit with it and different times but I only have the one roll.

Any help would be wonderful! Thank you!!!

Scuffy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ive found that HC110 and Arista .edu Ultra just do not do well together. I got really fugly tonality and weird contrast from it using the same methods I did very well with previously (using Sprint and Rodinal 1:50).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Arista.edu.ultra is Foma film. Foma film develops too fast (around 3 minutes) in HC-110b. Too fast to get consistently even results. I shoot a lot of the Arista.edu.ultra 200, which is Fomapan 200. I use HC-110 dilution E, for around 6 minutes in deep tank hangar processing with fairly good results. Since you have the ISO 100 film, I can't comment on that directly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Arista.edu.ultra is Foma film. Foma film develops too fast (around 3 minutes) in HC-110b. Too fast to get consistently even results. I shoot a lot of the Arista.edu.ultra 200, which is Fomapan 200. I use HC-110 dilution E, for around 6 minutes in deep tank hangar processing with fairly good results. Since you have the ISO 100 film, I can't comment on that directly.
    I use HC110 in dilution H. That's dilution B with twice the normal amount of water. In that strength, development time is about twice the development time in dilution B with the same agitation.

So with Ron's suggestion of 3 minutes at Dilution B, 6 minutes at dilution H would be a reasonable starting point for experimentation.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have shot quite a bit of the film in 120. I use HC110 at 1+100. I use 500ml of water to which I add 5ml of the HC110 goo. I develop for a total of 18 minutes. I agitate constantly for the first minute, then one inversion only every minute thereafter. I get excellent tonality. The stronger dilutions are too fast working with Foma 100. The longer developing time and minimal agitation also gives good acutance.

Rick.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ach. That was the problem, then. I'll try the higher dilutions in the jobo and see what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a lot of Arista Edu Ultra (Foma)100 in both 135, 120, and 4x5 formats. I also shoot Edu Ultra in 8x10 when time permits. I process in HC 110, in 1:50 dilution, mixed straight from the bottled syrup. Roll film goes into the usual stainless steel developing tanks, and sheet film in rotary processing tubes (Unicolor or Beseler). Depending on processing method and how much contrast I want, I usually develop around 8-10 minutes and get good tonal range from all formats. As others have pointed out, greatly diluting HC 110 does provide much more room for control. I hope this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you seen what APUG member 'bliorg' does with this combination? He gets fantastic tonality and contrast. But I believe he uses dilution H.
    If you're a subscriber, look his stuff up. A friend of mine was so impressed he decided to try it in 4x5 and was impressed. I am yet to see a print, but I take his word for it since he's a very meticulous and precise printer.
    I don't know the times specifically, but I say try dilution H.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Images
    I, too, use Arista Edu Ultra (Foma)100 and develop in HC-110 Dil H. It is a fantastic combination. I've also used Rodinal 1+50 with great results.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have to develop Arista Edu Ultra in HC-110 dilution "E" because that is the weakest dilution that can be replenished..and I have a 3.5 gallon tank to fill, and I develop a lot of film, otherwise dilution "H" would probably be better particularly for one-time use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin