Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,296   Online: 1148

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

When did LUMINOS become KENTMERE??

This is just because I like the history of things. At what period did Luminos papers become Kentmere??

I am assuming that Luminos was an American distributor that had Kentmere private label paper.

I have some Luminos sheet film that was sourced from Belgium (Gevaert.I think)...so they weren't just marketing Kentmere products.

Whatever happened to the brand "Luminos"?

Just curious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the papers have always been Kentmere, but for a while they assumed the label Luminos in certain markets.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Kentmere has been in business for 100 years. Luminos was just an American distributor, and when they stopped distributing photographic papers (I think they still distribute papers for inkjet printers), Kentmere USA became the distributor.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Kentmere has been in business for 100 years. Luminos was just an American distributor, and when they stopped distributing photographic papers (I think they still distribute papers for inkjet printers), Kentmere USA became the distributor.
    Correct. Luminos never made anything, to my knowledge. They were the original US distributor for Kentmere, and after Luminos B&W went belly-up, the Kentmere USA entity was formed to take over distribution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Luminos papers where made by Kentmere from about 12 to 15 years ago when their previous manufacturer stopped making paper for them. At that time I worked on the Luminos stand at Photo East in New York which is how I got to know about the Kentmere connection. I believe Luminos sold out to Hannemulle (sp) about 5 years ago which was when they also stopped supplying photographic paper.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin