Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,081   Online: 891

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Help Me Pick a New Fiber Paper/Developer

It's been a while since I've been in the darkroom. When I last printed, I was using Forte with LPD developer. Obviously, Forte is now gone, and I need to find a new paper to work with.

I'm thinking I might want to go with Ilford Multigrade (regular, not warm tone.) My only concern is that it supposedly doesn't respond well to selenium toning...right? If I do go with Multigrade, what developers are recommended?

It's been so long. I have so much to learn and relearn. Help.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'll recommend foma papers, they make my favorite papers by far.
    My two standard papers are:
    Fomatone mg: a fantastic warm tone paper, but since you're not interested in warm tone papers, oh well, by the way it tones redish in selenium , which you may or may not like. This paper has a cream base, and is quite slow.

Fomabrom 111: It is a graded paper but absolutely superb, and cheap too. It is neutral to slightly warm colored but on a white base. This paper is quite fast.

I normally soup these in either lpd developer at 1+4 dilution, or these days ilford warmtone developer. But then I prefer a warmer look. For a more neutral look any dektol variation will do.
    For more neutral to colder tones, there is also fomabrom variant III (this is a multigrade paper). This is slower than fomabrom 111 but much faster than Fomatone mg.

I'd just like to add that I have no connection with foma, I'm just a big fan of their papers.

By the way if you want RC paper, Ilford muligrade RC IV deluxe is absolutely splendid.

Hope I've been to some kind of help
    Best Regards
    Mads Hartmann
    Last edited by loman; 10-23-2007 at 04:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typing error

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    By the way, if you're interested in any of the foma papers do get the glossy ones, they are much nicer than the matte variety. They are only slightly glossy and nowhere near the glossiness of say ilford multigrade rc IV deluxe.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd recommend the Bergger warmtone paper (VCCB). It takes toners very nicely, and responds to different developers very nicely as well. For a cooltone look, I'd use Ansco 130, since Ilford has discontinued their cooltone paper developer (which was a terrific product). Failing that, Dektol and a mandatory selenium toning to get rid of the greenish tint Dektol can cause.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I can't recommend you a FB paper as I am on a similar quest, I can however recommend the paper developer.

I would recommend Dektol, it's an old standard, though in powder form it's easy to mix up and most important, the working solution holds it strength. So far, touch wood I have not had the greenish tint issue yet.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    KentmereFineprint. Nice paper and tones well

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Foma and TetenalEukobrom, works very well with selenium

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ridgeway View Post
    I'm thinking I might want to go with Ilford Multigrade (regular, not warm tone.) My only concern is that it supposedly doesn't respond well to selenium toning...right?
    I would recommend either Ilford Multigrade or Kentmere VC. Both look spectacular when processed in either Formulary BW-65 or Ansco 130. As for selenium toning, I'd had some problems with MG in the past, but I was using a 1:20 dilution. Thanks to advice from a friend, I've recently found that using RST 1:10 works just fine on both of these papers.

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Slavich papers work great in Formulary 130 and Dassonville D-3, and tone extremely well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ilford's MG IV does respond to selenium tone a little bit--with extended times (5+ minutes in KRST 1:10) it turns a blue-purple color. I really don't care for this tone. Even though others recommend this paper, I don't use it myself because I find the d-max to be unacceptable compared to the warm-tone version. You should consider the Ilford WT FB because it responds very well to selenium toner. You can achive a wide range of huges. Also, if you develope it in ilford's cool tone developer, the greenish hue goes away and the paper is very cool.

Recently I have been using Oriental Warmtone VC FB. It is the warmest paper I have ever used, but it also responds even better to selenium than Ilford's WT. With KRST 1:10 twelve minutes turns the hue to a purple! I strongly recommend this paper for anybody who is a fan of selenium toning. Oriental also has a neutrall seagull paper that I would recommend trying out if you absolutly don't want a WT paper (I haven't tried it myself).

One last bit on papers, Foma papers tend to have a delecate emulsion and need extended fixing times (5 min in Ilford rapid fix 1:4).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin