Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,092   Online: 903

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

EFKE 25 vs. EFKE 100 - differences?

Curious, as a user of EFKE 100 in 7x17 and 8x10 sheet film, it was suggested that I may want to try EFKE 25...What are the main differences in the films from users please? I am using sheet film and contact printing so grain is not an issue for me. I am more interested in characteristics, like contrast, tone, effectiveness in low sbr, or high sbr, etc. Speed is also not a real issue as EFKE 100 is already pretty slow...

Any thoughts out there?

Thank you!

In general; the slower a film, the finer the grain, and the higher the inherent contrast. You won't see the grain size reduction in a contact print. So in your case, you might try Efke 25 if you want more brilliant highlights and deeper shadows (compared to your 100-speed film). Of course you can compensate for this, to a degree, by increasing exposure and reducing development; which will lead you to some very long exposures. Myself, I prefer faster films for their longer tonal scale, (which for me translates into richer shadows) and don't enlarge my 4x5 negs very far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Efke 25 has more of an orthochromatic/panchromatic light sensitivity, so depending on your subject matter you could get a different tonal rendition of various objects. The lack of red sensitivity (not complete, but almost complete) will affect the tonal scale a bit. I like both films, but have settled on others for reasons of availability. In your case, shooting 7x17, I'm sure it's the other way around. Hard to find anything but Efke and a couple of others.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Yes, it is. Plus it's a lot less expensive....in 8x10 it's not as big of an issue in regards to cost, but in 7x17 films other than efke are 50% more to 75% more....and I do shoot quite a bit of film through 7x17...

sounds like efke 25 may be a better choice in low sbr situations?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always thought that the Efke film was great in low light situation, which would of course be a fairly low sbr. The film adds a little extra oomph and punch to a scene with dull lighting.
    With that said it also looks great with objects that sparkle, like metal, glass, and those types of things. I think you'll have fun using it.
    - Thomas

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Thomas, is this with the 100 or 25 in your experience? Thanks. Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alex Hawley has some horror stories for you about Efke 8x10 and 7x17...
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    hmm, are you referring to the quality issues? I have gone through several hundred sheets at least with no quality issues as of yet? I will keep fingers crossed...again, more interested at the 7x17 level difference between 100 and 25....Thanks, Scott

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Peters View Post
    I have gone through several hundred sheets at least with no quality issues as of yet?
    Scott, consider yourself lucky.

With respect to your original question, give me a couple weeks and I'll have a data point. I've got two 4x5 negs waiting to print; one shot on Efke 25, one shot on FP4; same subject place and time, both shot with a yellow filter on the lens. I want to see what the difference which will be my deciding factor on using Efke 25 with the 7x17.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scott, the 25. I haven't used the 100 under such circumstances.
    - Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Peters View Post
    Thomas, is this with the 100 or 25 in your experience? Thanks. Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin