Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,881   Online: 1089

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film Development Chem. Reactions

I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of a good resource breaking down the actual reactions in film exposure and development. I should be able to figure out most of the mechanisms on my own, but if anyone knows of any literature that perhaps names the reactions or shows intermediates so I can look up mechanisms for what I can't figure out on my own, that would be fantastic.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graint Haist, "Modern Photographic Processing" will explain all the chemistry in its gory details but easily understandable prose for anyone with decent school chemistry knowledge.

Not a cheap book (about 300$ for two volumes of 700+ pages), but check your local libraries. Universities tend to have it. It's peerless.

Haist was the director of Kodak's Research Lab, so he knows a thing or two.

You may also find a copy of C.E.K. Mees "Theory of Photographic Process" which is even gorier, because it not only gives you the principles, but the associated metrics of the science (e.g. crystal growth rate, energy, efficiency, etc).

Finally, I would recommend Mees's autobiography, "From dry plates to Ektachrome film" to understand the history and evolution of the technology. It is satisfyingly technical, and gives a lot of insight into the thinking behind the research. Mees founded the Kodak Research Labs.
    Last edited by Michel Hardy-Vallée; 10-24-2007 at 04:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbloom View Post
    I was hoping someone might be able to point
    me in the direction of a good resource breaking
    down the actual reactions in film exposure
    and development. Thanks.
    At Google I'd enter, film exposure development .
    To expand the search look for loaded words like
    photon, electron, silver, halide, reduction, light,
    grain, etc. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a small Kodak book called Elementary Photographic Chemistry
    which lays it all out in a fairly easy to understand way. It's quite old (mine is 1936) but the fundamentals haven't changed too much.
    I ran into my copy at my local used bookseller, but there are numerous copies at bookfinder;
    http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?au...ed&st=sr&ac=qr

Cost is around 5 USD and up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the past, I have same tentative for speed of photographic reaction.
    I try to make a relation between densitometric data and mecanichal and chemical parameters.

George
    Last edited by georgegrosu; 10-02-2009 at 02:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Another book with a lot of references:
    Photographic Processing Chemistry by LFA Mason. At one time he was in charge of processing chemistry research at Ilford.
    It does not cover newer developers,PMK Pyro,Xtol,Pyrocat HD, PC-TEA etc.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin