Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,604   Online: 1039

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Cheapskate -Rolls of Ilford MG Express

I've tried searchng Apug, Photo.net the internet in general and found like one thread concerning this topic and have since lost it

One of these rolls would yield like 800 5x7's or possibly a billion test strips
    I just want to use it for test strips/prints if it will work

Any difference in it's sensitivity or anything that makes it too fast etc?

I guess if there is a difference you could adjust for it but that would probably only reduce my "good" paper usage by about half

It's curly. I'll weigh 5x7's down under glass? What would the glass do to the enlarging light? I don't think curl would be a problem with thin test strips.

It's heavy probably and a * to store/use in a small darkroom especially
    I'll deal

How about only for contact/proof prints? Seems great for that use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know if the roll paper is the same as the stuff already cut into sheets. But be aware that paper speed and contrast for the same brand can differ from batch to batch, so using it for test strips for prints made on a different batch of paper is iffy at best. However, if you want to use it for making 5x prints that's fine. An easel should hold it flat enough. No need for glass. If you don't have an easel, get one. Small ones are cheap on the used market. Only when you get to the 11x14 and larger sizes do they become expensive.
    Last edited by fschifano; 10-25-2007 at 09:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know this roll paper but use roll paper for colour.

A few thoughts. Remember the cut sheets start out on big rolls. The only difference here is how much the factory cuts versus what you cut.

Get yourself a good paper safe or some empty boxes. Cut a weeks paper at a time and stack it in the box. By the time you need it the paper will normally be fine. This assumes I guess you cut enough sheets but I bet even cutting 10 sheets at a time will be okay.

Get yourself a good paper cutter and set it up for cutting. B&W will be easier with the safe light but still pratice the setup.

I cut the paper cold normally. I wear gloves. Once it's cut and stacked I treat it like any other paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used quite a bit of this paper. It's great. I have used it in 8" width and 4" width. I cut the 4" to 4X5 and 4X6 and some panoramics. I pretty much used the 8" for 8X10 only. I'm cheap too.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thank You
    I guess the paper is about twice as fast as the nonExpress so transfering times isn't going to work
    I'll use it for test prints etc

I have old -and empty- velour black 500 boxes so I plan on cutting up one "full" box at a time

8x1000ft isn't much $, either. Like .10 an 8x10 or something. I'll see how 5" goes first.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin