Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,757   Online: 1052

Shooter
    Multi Format

Color of Pyrocat MC part A

I just received and used a new batch of Pyrocat MC in glycol (from PF). I did a direct comparison to HD with 2 sheets of 4x5 FP4, same shot, same dilution and time, etc. Differences will have to be seen after printing, very close, as promised on other threads.
    One thing that suprised me, though - the color of the MC Part A was very dark, like old Rodinal, or coffee. This stuff is less than a week old.
    Part A of HD (in water) is very light amber, even after a year in small bottles.
    Is this normal for MC?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    I just received and used a new batch of Pyrocat MC in glycol (from PF). I did a direct comparison to HD with 2 sheets of 4x5 FP4, same shot, same dilution and time, etc. Differences will have to be seen after printing, very close, as promised on other threads.
    One thing that suprised me, though - the color of the MC Part A was very dark, like old Rodinal, or coffee. This stuff is less than a week old.
    Part A of HD (in water) is very light amber, even after a year in small bottles.
    Is this normal for MC?
    My liter bottle of Pyrocat-PC, which I mixed about a year ago, is a deep burgundy color. I just finished another bottle mixed about two years ago and it was more or less the same color when I used the last of it. It was working fine at the end.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    George ... my Pyrocat MC (also mixed in glycol ... also from PF) is also dark. Works great!

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Color of my Pyrocat-MC Part A mixed in glycol

Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    Is this normal for MC?
    I mixed two liters of Pyrocat-MC Part A in Propylene Glycol from scratch (over a year ago) it is dark amber in color and it works great.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mixed a liter of part A last year in August and it was medium amber in color. A month ago i mixed another 1 liter and it is very light amber. Have a feeling that it could have to do with the mixing temperature although not substantiated. The last 1 liter was mixed at a lower temperature than the first.
    The catchetol looked the same for both mixtures.
    Don't see any differences on my negatives.

jan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin