Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,426   Online: 816

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Questions RE: The NEW TMAX 400

Hi:

Regarding the new TMAX 400, I was wondering if anyone has any advance info they can share. I have read what there is on the Kodak site and I don't believe it covers all the things I was wondering about.

1) I read they are going to offer it in 10-sheet boxes. Are they offering it in any other sizes? I don't recall the Kodak site mentioning anything about 25sh or keeping the 50sh boxes. I'd assume that at least for 4x5 they would offer larger capacity boxes.

2) Anyone have a guess at the price?

3) Will they offer 5x7 and 8x10 as regular stock sizes?

4) Why don't they recommend the TMAX RS developer as the primary developer anymore? It looks like everyone is recommending D76 already.

5) I read that View Camera is coming out with a review in their December issue, but I don't want to wait that long. Does anyone have a preview of what they are going to say? Who reviews the film, John Sexton (I hope!).

6) I recall that Rodinal was not a good developer with TMAX (based on my own characteristic curves). I will be sure to try it out with the lower dilutions of Rodinal and re-do the tests.

This is a really exciting development and it is great for LF users that enlarge negatives. All that fine grain and speed to boot, excellent. I can't wait for it to come out.

-R

Shooter
    Large Format

New Tmax 400

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Hi:

Regarding the new TMAX 400, I was wondering if anyone has any advance info they can share. I have read what there is on the Kodak site and I don't believe it covers all the things I was wondering about.

1) I read they are going to offer it in 10-sheet boxes. Are they offering it in any other sizes? I don't recall the Kodak site mentioning anything about 25sh or keeping the 50sh boxes. I'd assume that at least for 4x5 they would offer larger capacity boxes.

2) Anyone have a guess at the price?

3) Will they offer 5x7 and 8x10 as regular stock sizes?

4) Why don't they recommend the TMAX RS developer as the primary developer anymore? It looks like everyone is recommending D76 already.

5) I read that View Camera is coming out with a review in their December issue, but I don't want to wait that long. Does anyone have a preview of what they are going to say? Who reviews the film, John Sexton (I hope!).

6) I recall that Rodinal was not a good developer with TMAX (based on my own characteristic curves). I will be sure to try it out with the lower dilutions of Rodinal and re-do the tests.

This is a really exciting development and it is great for LF users that enlarge negatives. All that fine grain and speed to boot, excellent. I can't wait for it to come out.

-R
    Sorry I don't have any info re Tmax 400 in LF. They were handing out samples (in 35 mm) at PhotoExpo in NYC last weekend. I did shoot a roll but I ended up overdeveloping it [my fault] (Sprint Standard developer 1:9 for 11 minutes) resulting in blown highlights. Will try to dev the second roll for around 7 minutes. John Sexton has tested the film and finds 7 min with D76 1:1 to be ideal for an EI of 250. He was kind enough to post some info on his website.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I called my local camera store and their buyer called Kodak. There really isn't much info available apparently. They don't know what LF sizes will be available and when, prices or anything. I guess the stuff will just show up.

In case anyone is interested, my local shop will start carrying Kodak ULF sheet film soon! I was happily shocked. The camera store is Glazer's Camera located in Seattle, WA. Their phone number is 1-888-534-3232. Their web-site is:

http://www.glazerscamera.com/

They said their web-site is going to be re-designed and up and running in a week or two, it's pretty basic right now.

I will make a post when I see the stuff show up in their large refrigeration cases.

-R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    I called my local camera store and their buyer called Kodak. There really isn't much info available apparently. They don't know what LF sizes will be available and when, prices or anything. I guess the stuff will just show up.

In case anyone is interested, my local shop will start carrying Kodak ULF sheet film soon! I was happily shocked. The camera store is Glazer's Camera located in Seattle, WA. Their phone number is 1-888-534-3232. Their web-site is:

http://www.glazerscamera.com/

They said their web-site is going to be re-designed and up and running in a week or two, it's pretty basic right now.

I will make a post when I see the stuff show up in their large refrigeration cases.

-R
    Gotta love a store that has main menu headings of "Cameras, Digital, Lighting, Rental" - and all the film gear, darkroom etc is under "Cameras" and the digicams are all under "Digital" along with the computer gear and ipods etc...

Bob.

It will be interesting to have a "new" film, but those of us who have done extensive film testing to establish our own exposure and development curves will have to re-do such curves. I'll stock up on the existing TMax400, but obviously I will eventually have to buy the new film. Of course, if the new TMax is "superior" to the existing film then the effort to re-do the curves will be worth while. Most important is evidence that Kodak is not exiting the film business, and that between Ilford-Harman and Kodak we will continue to have choices and supply.

Edwin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    It will be interesting to have a "new" film, but those of us who have done extensive film testing to establish our own exposure and development curves will have to re-do such curves. I'll stock up on the existing TMax400, but obviously I will eventually have to buy the new film. Of course, if the new TMax is "superior" to the existing film then the effort to re-do the curves will be worth while. Most important is evidence that Kodak is not exiting the film business, and that between Ilford-Harman and Kodak we will continue to have choices and supply.

Edwin
    It's my understanding (but I'll defer to Ron (PE) ) that the new TMax-400 is a "next generation" version that, like the new Portras, has improved scannability etc.

I'm looking forward to trying it out in 135 and 120 - but I first have to burn off a heck of a lot of old stock!

It is really great to see The Great Yellow Father making some new waves in the film biz!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin