Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,593   Posts: 1,546,096   Online: 906
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    los angeles
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    What film???..EC
    i'm thinking acros 100 but also like neopan 400. i just tried some acros in rodinal and like the look but i really don't like grain at all. i like the look of fomapan 100 also but just shot my first roll in the last few days and haven't dipped it yet. other films to consider: pan f, fp4, apx 100

    thanks for all the info everyone.

    i really want to try pyro too and i'm sure i don't have to tell you guys but the combinations of film/developers becomes mindboggling very quickly.

    i've pretty much been shooting neopan 400@200 devp. in D-76 1:1 for most of my shooting. this combo works quite well but i'm searching for something with a little more range to it. this combo has nice shadows (especially when using strobes) and pure whites that really don't seem to blow out even @ 50-100 EI but lacks some mid tones. also, it's quite good with the grain but anything that allows less grain is fine by me.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,879
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by superloaf View Post
    i'm thinking acros 100 but also like neopan 400. i just tried some acros in rodinal and like the look but i really don't like grain at all. i like the look of fomapan 100 also but just shot my first roll in the last few days and haven't dipped it yet. other films to consider: pan f, fp4, apx 100

    thanks for all the info everyone.

    i really want to try pyro too and i'm sure i don't have to tell you guys but the combinations of film/developers becomes mindboggling very quickly.

    i've pretty much been shooting neopan 400@200 devp. in D-76 1:1 for most of my shooting. this combo works quite well but i'm searching for something with a little more range to it. this combo has nice shadows (especially when using strobes) and pure whites that really don't seem to blow out even @ 50-100 EI but lacks some mid tones. also, it's quite good with the grain but anything that allows less grain is fine by me.
    Once again: I recommend Pyrocat-PC (P-Aminophenol - Ascorbic Acid). In my experience, using the 1 + 1 + 100 dilution and developing semi-stand for 14 to 18 minutes at 72C, Pyrocat-PC works great with both Neopan 400 and with Fomapan 200.

    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/3...velopment.html
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 11-01-2007 at 12:04 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Tom Hoskinson
    ______________________________

    Everything is analog - even digital :D

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    los angeles
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Once again: I recommend Pyrocat-PC (P-Aminophenol - Ascorbic Acid). In my experience, using the 1 + 1 + 100 dilution and developing semi-stand for 14 to 18 minutes at 72C, Pyrocat-PC works great with both Neopan 400 and with Fomapan 200.

    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/3...velopment.html
    that link doesn't work^^


    yeah, the pyro stuff sounds interesting. i definitely have to try it.

    how different is that from rodinal + ascorbic acid?

    the pyro is a stain, correct? other than that, it sounds similar to rodinal+ascorbic. is the lack of grain a factor of adding ascorbic acid or from the stain or both? (forgive my questions as i'm just getting into all of this and as i've already stated, the combos become mindboggling.)

    also, saw the post on metol+sulfite/ascorbic acid. this seems similar except that it appears to be too grainy for my tastes. am i understanding things correctly or . . . ?

    thanks to all--i'll grasp all of this, i promise!

  4. #14
    gainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,726
    Images
    2
    You can't just choose a developer and say "Grain, begone!" and have it actually happen. Grains are the carriers of images. There are times when one cannot see a forest for the trees, but without the trees there is no forest. Same with film. Digital wont cure the problem. It just sets the grains in orderly rows, like a replanted clearcut. Developer is not the final cure. One may get objectionable grain or not with any develper that is capable of giving a sharp image. Too much or too little exposure or development or both works more magic than poor choice of materials.

    Can you tell I'm getting old?
    Gadget Gainer

  5. #15
    gainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,726
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by superloaf View Post
    that link doesn't work^^


    yeah, the pyro stuff sounds interesting. i definitely have to try it.

    how different is that from rodinal + ascorbic acid?

    the pyro is a stain, correct? other than that, it sounds similar to rodinal+ascorbic. is the lack of grain a factor of adding ascorbic acid or from the stain or both? (forgive my questions as i'm just getting into all of this and as i've already stated, the combos become mindboggling.)

    also, saw the post on metol+sulfite/ascorbic acid. this seems similar except that it appears to be too grainy for my tastes. am i understanding things correctly or . . . ?

    thanks to all--i'll grasp all of this, i promise!
    Pyro is a term that usually means pyrogallol, or 1,2,3 trihydroxybenzene, which is usually a staining developer and just about always a tanning developer that makes the image stand out in relief in the emulsion. Pyrocat is short for Pyrocatechin or pyrocatechol or catechol or 1,2 dihydroxybenzene, also a staining and tanning developing agent. Whether you get staining depends a lot on how much sulfite is in the developer. Less sulfite = more staining.
    Gadget Gainer

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,055
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    Whether you get staining depends a lot on how much sulfite is in the developer. Less sulfite = more staining.
    Correct, but it also depends on the film used. What's
    left of my APX 100 loves Pytocat HD and really shows a good, heavy stain. Ilford's Pan-F doesn't show much stain at all with PC-HD.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    los angeles
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    18
    and is the main purpose of the stain to mask the grain?

  8. #18
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,277
    Images
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by superloaf View Post
    and is the main purpose of the stain to mask the grain?
    No, many are using Pyrocat to produce negatives for alternative processes and the stain amplifies the silver image. This is what Sandy King designed the developer for as well as for dual use to produce negatives that will print on normal bromide, bromo-chloride etc papers.

    Going back to Patrick Gainers comment "You can't just choose a developer and say "Grain, begone!" and have it actually happen." and your own comments about Rodinal. Some love Rodinal others hate it, but it is capable of producing excellent negatives (35mm and upwards) and prints which have good tonality and sharpness alongside fine grain. but Rodinal works best with modern films like APX100 and Tmax100, and the results from 35mm film are superb.

    Ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin