Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,755   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Diafine+Rodinal--Anyone have a recipe for a mixture?

so i really like the look of rodinal. but i hate grain. so i'm wondering if there is a mixture of diafine and rodinal that could bridge the two? in theory that would be my ideal developer.

anyone ever try this or have any further info?

thanks

Images
    Not that, but adding ascorbate to Rodinal makes a considerable difference in grain without much difference in other aspects. You must use the ascorbate or the pH does too far down. Mix 1 teaspoon of ascorbic acid powder with 1/2 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate in a couple of ounces of water and when the fizzing subsides, use it as part of the water to make a liter of 1+50 Rodinal working solution. Treat it about the same as 1+25 Rodinal. This combination is discussed in www.unblinkingeye.com.

I don't know for sure what is in Diafine, but I doubt it will be as copasthetic as the ascorbate.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why don't you try Pyrocat HD or adapt the Diafine type formula. Alternately look for some of Barry Thorntons published two bath formula.

The original Promicrol would probably be the closest to what your looking for, or Agfa Atomal. Calbe make a reformulated version of Atomal A-49 using CD-2 and Pyrocatechin, there is a formula posted on the internet. And then you could look at Crawleys FX10.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is a combo that never would have occured to me. I've never used Diafine (although it's on my list), but it's used to push film while Rodinal is not. Despite its name, Diafine is reported to be a non-fine-grain dev. Rodinal is non-fine-grain as well.

I'm not sure if the two of these would click together. Perhaps after investing several rolls of film and globs of developer you may find the mark, but film isn't as inexpensive as it used to be; Tri-X nearing $50 for 100'!!!

My advice is to stick to something already tried.

Images
    The combination of Rodinal with ascorbate has already been tried. Read the article.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I've read it and tried it. It works and was included in my list of "already tried & true".

Images
    For those who haven't read it, it is in www.unblinkingeye.com in an article by Ed Buffaloe entitled "Appreciating Rodinal" which has lots of good stuff in it about Rodinal.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by superloaf View Post
    so i really like the look of rodinal. but i hate grain. so i'm wondering if there is a mixture of diafine and rodinal that could bridge the two? in theory that would be my ideal developer.

thanks
    What film???..EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

thanks
    In the Diafine A MSDS, Hydroquinone is the only ingredient listed. It is reasonable to speculate that a small amount of Phenidone is also present.

Here is a Diafine substitute recipe: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...e-formula.html.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Try Pyrocat - PC

thanks
    You want the P-Aminophenol look (aka Rodinal) but with finer grain, so I recommend Pyrocat-PC. It works great!

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/3...velopment.html
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin