Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,957   Online: 1113

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fomapan T200 pinholes

I have a problem with pinholes in the 120 version of the film. I stopped using stop bath and that doesn't help. Here is how I process it:

hc110 dilution h, 12 minutes
    1 minute water stop
    3-4 minute ilford rapid fixer 1+4
    wash

The emulsion looks like someone sprinkled pepper all over it, its not dust, and I can see through the holes as they are totally clear.

I bought a ton of this film rebaged as arista.edu ultra 200 last year and didn't get around to using it till recently. I don't think Freestyle will take it back now, they wouldn't respond to my queries about it, so I am kinda stuck with it and want to make it work.

Is the developer the culprit?
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did a bit of a search and it looks exactly like this:

From what I've found on other forums, this is a problem with the film and not with any developer or stop bath or something like that. Looks like its all going in the trash. never again will I try to save money on film, and its a shame freestyle wouldn't help me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I had the same problem with Efke 25 which had crud embedded in the emulsion. Light doesn't penetrate the bits of crud and then it washes out in the developer and ultimately gets fixed as clear film. I quit using the bargain brands because I lost way too many exposures because of this. Of course, spotting will solve most of the problems but that, to me, is a PITA.

Fred

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I long ago abandoned the bargain films for quality issues. I got tired of loosing shot after shot. I now stick with the majors....kodak, ilford, fuji. What does it matter if the others are cheaper when you run the risk of not getting the shot or being able to print it.

Regards,
    John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So true, I've learned my lessons. Too bad I had to go and buy 50 rolls at once... I'm going to call Freestyle about this, the invoice is long gone and shipping will probably make it not worthwhile but I feel as I've flushed money down the toilet. Going to go back to Ilford and Kodak from now on. The extra couple dollars per roll is worth it.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I've had similar issues and disimilar issues (a dark line going through whole rolls)from this rebranded film. I'll never use it for critical work again.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I had a pin hole problem with that Arista Ultra film as well though my pin holes were a whole lot of tiny pin holes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a problem with pinholes in the 120 version of the film. I stopped using stop bath and that doesn't help.
    Yes indeed because a STOP bath has NOTHING to do with pinholes.

You made a processing mistake or the film has a coating problem.

I don't think Freestyle will take it back now
    If the films are not over their exp. date and you have an invoice of them, they are obliged to do the investigation and replace the defect film by the same amount of new 120 roll films.

What is the batchnr. of the defective serie?

In case you do not have the invoice anymore, you can still sent the films (before exp. date) in to Foma in Hradec Kralové together with exposed and the unexposed materials in an airpack envelope. After they can detect any failure and it's NOT a processing/user fault they will replace any film by sending back by DHL.

Foma Bohemia S.R.O. is producing under ISO 9001 and is able to detect any failure in their Q.C. system.
    They are able to seach things out like Kodak, Ilford, Rollei or Fuji can do it.

But if you will not take the right action to the US Foma distributor, nothing will happening.......

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a pin hole problem with that Arista Ultra film as well though my pin holes were a whole lot of tiny pin holes.
    Are you all using a PIN HOLE camera?

Be aware that under the house brand of Arista also a lot of other brands are marketet in the USA.
    It can be Agfa, Efke, Foma, Forte a.s.o. depending on the type of film. So you must be rather sure of your case which kind of film you're dealing with.

Here is the contact page for the Foma Photo division in the Czech Republic:
    http://www.foma.cz/foma/dokumenty/FotoKontakty.asp
    Last edited by Fotohuis; 10-27-2007 at 10:59 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added Foma contact page

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fotohuis,
    But if you will not take the right action to the US Foma distributor, nothing will happening.......
    Incorect.. They will disapear if they don't take QA serious.
    I have used Foma 200 in both 5x7 and 8x10 and have pinholes in all negatives. A real shame cause it is a wonderful film, in particular for alternative printing.
    I don't buy rebranded film and from now on i don't buy discount film to save a buck and then loose a good print.

Kodak, Ilford or Fuji. Never had any QA problems with the top 3

jan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin