Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,404   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mc versus fixed grade.

This maybe done to death, I don't know, but a recent experience prompts a question.
    I have been using MC papers (FB) for some years and do enjoy the versatility, however I purchased some fixed grade (2 Gallerie) from a friend a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at the improvement in both tonal quality and contrast.
    I have always processed my negs since the year dot to print well on grade 2 or 3 but am typically printing on MC (all brands) at grade 4 or higher to get that oomph that I used to get with the older fixed grade.
    You will probably say, just develop longer for more contrast, but my negs look great the way I'm doing them and I don't want to block highlights etc.
    Sorry for the rambling but I was wondering if others have had the same experience with MC papers, I mostly use Forte and Ilford 1V glossy fibre papers.
    It seems that I have gradually become accustomed to the newer papers and forgot how good the old ones (Gallerie, Seagull and Record Rapid) actually were.
    Tony

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In the sum total of the world, I think it depends a lot on individual papers. Gallerie is an absolute gorgeous one, both in looks and the amount of control latitude it has. The absolute best MG paper I've ever used was the Forte Polywarmtone aka J&C Classic Polywarmtone. I haven't seen a negative yet it couldn't handle. Whenever I couldn't get something quite right on graded paper, I'd switch to PWT and it would work. It just seemed to have a broader range of tonal scale that others did. Sadly, its no longer produced. I could have made it my one and only paper.

However, that being said about PWT, I still seem to get better tonal separation out of the graded papers than I do with MG. The two that I work with now are Slavich, available in grades 2,3, and 4, and Kentmere Kentona, which is about grade 2.5.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Alex, I meant to ask what graded papers are still available and of course, the ones that would be available in OZ.
    Just seems odd that a neg that prints fine on gd2 paper needs about gd4 on MC.
    Tony

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    Just seems odd that a neg that prints fine on gd2 paper needs about gd4 on MC.
    Tony
    Don't know what's available Down Under but I have had the same contrast experience to some extent with MG papers. But I have seldom had to go above grade 3.5. Perhaps the difference lies in the filters you are using?
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Using a variety of filters from Ilford gels through to an MC head on a Durst and LPL enlarger and MC head on an Leica focomat, all seem much the same.
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't say what negative developer you are using but its been posted on APUG a few times that some staining developers need a bit of extra development for printing on VC papers.

Another factor can be your safelight, there's a strange phenomenon where red-light fogs VC paper it's not enough to cause any image density when processed but it can drop the papers contrast. Many manufacturers began making special VC safelight filters because of this. This caused me problems in two smallish darkrooms but not in larger.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 10-28-2007 at 04:57 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting thought Ian. I have a large darkroom and the safelight is an Ilford S902? Think that's what it is.... amber anyway.
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, forgot to mention negative developers. Mostly Rodinal, ID11 and I have just started using Pyrocat HD. Interesting enough, the Pyro seems to give me a little more contrast even though the neg densities are the same.
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your safelights fine then

The papers do vary in their inherent contrast between manufactures so your not always comparing like with like. Also paper freshness can make a difference. My nearest decent photo-store, an hour away, has quite good stocks of paper but a quick check shows manufacture as 1989 !!!!

I recently changed my main LF enlarger and negatives that typically printed on GD 2 Record Rapid require GD2½-3 on Polywarmtone. My PyrocatHD negs need more like GD3-3½, but I've adjust development to get back to nearer GD2.

Polywarmtone is the best Fibre based VC paper I've used, has an edge over the Agfa Classic and is on a par with Galerie for tonality, excellent highlights and good detail in the shadows.

Variations do occur.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 10-28-2007 at 05:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    I have a large darkroom and the safelight is an Ilford
    S902? Think that's what it is.... amber anyway. Tony
    I use red-ish amber when working with VC but with
    Graded I switch to yellow-ish orange. Very noticeable
    improvement in the level of darkroom lighting and one
    of two reasons I prefer Graded. I've done some lith
    printing and don't recall any of the troubles some
    have at seeing when to snatch.

A second reason for my preference can be seen in just
    about any close look of paper curves. VC papers as a
    group don't hold to the contrast curve below about
    mid density. Phil Davis comments on the subject
    in a Max-D news letter. Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin