Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,889   Online: 915

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the plastic soda bottles for just about everything. Never a problem. Eventually, the caps do wear and don't seal as well as when new. That's when they get replaced.

I 'm still working on a stash of 1 gallon Robitussin brown glass bottles (I think they are all plastic now) I scrounged from a local pharmacy back in the 70's. These have hard plastic---almost bakealite like caps unlike those cool ground glass tops the old reagent bottles have.

No problems!

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I read Ryuji's page. Good info, thanks for the link.

I guess gas permeability is relative. They probably put carbonated soft drinks in #1 for that reason, although a guy stocking shelves told me for best quality (of carbonation) they have rather short limits for shelf life before the carbonation gets thru the bottle, cap, etc enough to cause deterioration in the carbonation esthetic. I guess they make enough money one it they can dump it. I guess beer costs too much to put in brown plastic under the same shelf like rule (although someone was telling me glass beer bottles are a glass-plastic composite now - I didn't believe him).

My recycled solvent bottles have those bakelite-looking screw-on caps John referred to.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

look for essential oil sellers

They often sell 'amber boston rounds' in small sizes, perfect for developers. Polyseal caps are the best ones that I can currently find.

Then on the recycled front, I re-use yeast jars, once the yeast is used up in the bread machine. They are amber glass, with a steel cap with a good gasket. They hold 227mL of liquid - just enough for a 35mm reel in my stainless tank. I mix up D-19 a gallon at a time (long story - it's military surplus when in dry form from 1964, and still works fine) and store it in about 15 or so that I have stored up over time. When I need high contrast for reversal title masks for head shots, etc, it is all ready to go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also use the brown glass bottles I got from a pharmacy back in the 70's - everything from 450ml up to 2 litres. The wide mouth on the bottles make it easy to pour from than the one with a narrower opening. To ensure that I don't have any cross contaminations from the caps if they get mixed up or to reduce the chance of a poor seal I put a liner of Parafilm over the mouth of the bottle - wax paper would probably work as well. I threw out most of my plastic containers and use mainly glass in the darkroom since I find it easier to keep clean .

Gord

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin