Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,102   Online: 797

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole

chemical storage in #1, #2 plastic bottles

I have a couple brown glass reagent bottles for chemical storage.

#1 (soda) and #2 plastic that we recycle look tempting also.

I have made lens hoods of some of them.

What, if any, chemicals used in b/w processing have any of you successfully stored in recycled containers?

I believe Rodinal and HC-110 come/came in plastic bottles, but have no idea what kind (could be the mysterious #7, 'Other').

Thanks
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I store all my chemicals in recycled containers, with no problems plasic or glass.

My best containers are translucent and black 2.5 litre that I used to buy hydrochloric and sulphuric acid in, purged well with boiling water they are excellent for fixer and developer stock solutions. (I also purge the ones I use for developer by leaving spent dev in for a day or so).

Rodinal bottle are excellent for small quantities of developer or toners, likewise Ilford, Kodak and Agfa chemical bottle. I never use recycled fix bottles for developer. The newer Ilford 1 litre bottles aren't as strong and don't last as well.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Brown hydrogen peroxide bottles work really well. At .89 cents a bottle you can just throw the hydrogen peroxide out.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mexipike View Post
    Brown hydrogen peroxide bottles work really well. At .89 cents a bottle you can just throw the hydrogen peroxide out.
    John
    Or bleach you hair first

Better still try the etch bleach process it is amazing with RC papers, particularly if you redevelop after the etch part . . . . .

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a far better thing to recycle than to purchase new storage bottles.

I user or have used -

glass wine bottles
    glass beer bottles
    glass soda bottles
    glass concentrated lemon juice bottles
    plastic shampoo bottles
    plastic laundry detergent bottles
    household bleach bottles

and the exotics - - the container that I use for desilvering used fixer is a rectangular plastic pail that originally held deck screws.

and I store the used fixer in the bottle that was supplied with the medicine used the night before a colonoscopy - you know, add a gallon of water, chill, drink an 8 ounce glass every twenty minutes, and - - -well, we won't go there.
    Louie

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    and I store the used fixer in the bottle that was supplied with the medicine used the night before a colonoscopy - you know, add a gallon of water, chill, drink an 8 ounce glass every twenty minutes, and - - -well, we won't go there.
    Not...

<shudder>

...Picolax?

I know people who've been through it, and heard the stories... After a treatment with Picolax, they seem to have this look as though they've been to a dark, dark place only a select few people even knew was possible
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Locally, they call that "GoLightly". AAAAAAAAAaaaaaa, what a misnomer!

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Ryuji Suzki has a Web page with information on the characteristics of various plastics and how those characteristics impact plastic bottles' suitability for use in storing photochemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best storage bottle on the market is made by Jobo. If you can get the Jobo bottles use them. Solutions seem to keep very well in these heavy duty bottles.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

Colored plastic bottles can cause problems

I've had problems with colored #1 plastic bottles. In one case I stored a borax solution in a light blue water bottle and the borax turned brown and the bottle became clear. I believe that brown juice bottles caused me problems with developers.

Clear bottles stored in the dark work just fine.

Mike D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin