Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,002   Online: 743

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Glycin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope it is well done!

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The Merck Index will give you references to making it as well.
    The 8th Ed lists three references. I suspect the easiest to find/decipher is:

Meldola, Foster, Brightman, J. Chem. Soc. 111, 552 (1917)

It's prepared from p-aminophenol and chloracetic acid.

I'm not a chemist, use at your own risk, yada yada.

Ed

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    schlger,

You can obtain that chemical at this German post-order retailer:

http://www.omikron-online.de/cgi-bin...Tsuche--glycin

(As long as you are not living in North-America...)
    :o 42.80 Euro for only 10g?!

I buy Glycin from photoformulary.com. 100g for $18.95. I live in Sweden and it's easy to buy from them as they accept card payments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    :o 42.80 Euro for only 10g?!
    I buy Glycin from photoformulary.com. 100g for $18.95. I live in Sweden and it's easy to buy from them as they accept card payments.
    I appreciate that Omikron added photo-glycin to their catalogue (along with dimezone S some time ago btw). But judged by the price the Photoformulary is asking - and ordering from them is easy when you are in europe - I have to agree that Omikron's pricing is a bit off. OTOH the stuff is probably relabeled from the same source. AFAIK and after taking a deeper look into that issue some years ago there seems to be only one maker left: The Photoformulary.

best

Stefan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    The 8th Ed lists three references. I suspect the easiest to find/decipher is:

Meldola, Foster, Brightman, J. Chem. Soc. 111, 552 (1917)

It's prepared from p-aminophenol and chloracetic acid.

I'm not a chemist, use at your own risk, yada yada.

Ed
    Do you have acess to the article? The Royal Society of Chemistry sells it as download PDF for 22 Pounds.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "42.80 Euro for only 10g?!"

Yes, I stumbled over that price too…
    I was negligent in not to cross-check that with other possible suppliers. I'm sorry for that.

Furthermore, all that stories here about having difficulties of obtaining chemicals in the USA was the reason for me to think the OP thought of trying to do a synthesis himself; obviously this is not the reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schlger View Post
    Do you have acess to the article? The Royal Society of Chemistry sells it as download PDF for 22 Pounds.
    This article is probably in the library of a nearby college with a chemistry department. It is probably also reprinted in the Weissberger book.

Any library with chemistry journals probably carries it.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Any library with chemistry journals probably carries it.
    PE is probably right. That would definitely be the case here in the states.

If you can't find it, the answer would be, yes, I could likely get a copy fairly easily. And I would probably not be violating copyright to copy it.

Ed

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Making glycin is not hard, nor particularly dangerous AFAIK. It is a straightforward addition of several chemicals and a purification.
    Chloroacetic acid is rather corrosive compared to most commonly used acids. And it smells bad. Well, that's probably an understatement. It is extremely destructive to tissues of the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract.

Anyway, I'd suggest that if you've passed a college level organic chemistry lab class you probably have the skills to do this - if you have the proper ventilation system available. Otherwise, your roommates will hate you and the neighbors call the cops thinking you and making meth or something.

But for the average photographic chemistry buff, you should just bite the bullet and just buy some...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chloroacetic acid is used by dermatologists to cauterize the skin when growths are removed. It is certainly not good to get on your body or to inhale the vapors. It will burn you. OTOH, it can be placed on a swab and applied to an open wound. It is not like phenol, lye or sulfuric acid which would just keep on eating away at you and which can cause severe chemical burns.

The synthesis of glycin is very very simple and straightforward. In some ways, it is no more difficult to make than some of the photographic solutions we have seen mixed here.

If you use chloroacetic acid, no dust mask will protect your lungs. You must use a hood with good suction and the ventiated gas must not be discharged in such a way as to hurt anyone. Either that or you must work outdoors. In any case, you must make the glycin in small quantities if you insist on doing it.

Personally, I think that this is a very dangerous idea even if it is rather simple to accomplish. Just because it is simple does not mean the idea is worthwhile or practical or safe.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin