Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,981   Online: 849

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Glycin

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Homemade Glycin

Is there a possibility to make photo Glycin oneself, maybe from para aminophenol?

Wich literature could I consult if I would like to try my own sythesis?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    can't be too much harder than having a home meth lab, can it...? More legal, I hope??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes it is straightforward to do.

The method is probably in the series "Organic Synthesis" by Arnold Weissberger of Eastman Kodak. It is a multivolume series that describes how to make most common organic chemicals.

The Merck Index will give you references to making it as well.

Do NOT confuse glycin with glycine. (gly sin vs gly seen) The first is the developer you want and the second is an essential amino acid.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote: Do NOT confuse glycin with glycine. (gly sin vs gly seen) The first is the developer you want and the second is an essential amino acid.

Thanks. I was planning to make some FX-2 for the first time; and here in Scandinavia the essential amino acid is called Glycin… You definitely saved me both some film and some trouble. Seems like I have to stick to FX-1 for the time being.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Yes it is straightforward to do.

The method is probably in the series "Organic Synthesis" by Arnold Weissberger of Eastman Kodak. It is a multivolume series that describes how to make most common organic chemicals.

The Merck Index will give you references to making it as well.

Do NOT confuse glycin with glycine. (gly sin vs gly seen) The first is the developer you want and the second is an essential amino acid.

PE

I've never made glycin myself, but I briefly looked into it a couple of years back. I was told by a reliable source (a frequent contributor here and I shouldn't drag them into it, but if they wish to involve themselves, ok) that it is dangerous and that should not attempt it. That's all the info I could get.

PE, can you go into more details or shed any light on the danger part?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    schlger,

You can obtain that chemical at this German post-order retailer:

http://www.omikron-online.de/cgi-bin...Tsuche--glycin

(As long as you are not living in North-America...)
    Last edited by AgX; 10-29-2007 at 12:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim;

Making glycin is not hard, nor particularly dangerous AFAIK. It is a straightforward addition of several chemicals and a purification. The chemicals themselves, as always, are dangerous and you have to be careful not to get things too hot or cold. Just like cooking, but with somewhat dangerous and toxic chemicals instead of dangerous and toxic food like chicken with salmonella.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You shouldn't have written this, PE.
    Now there is a chance that chicken will end on some banning-list too...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE, Thanks. Yes, all chems are dangerous to some degree. Perhaps my source was just being careful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW, chicken is what's on the menu tonight!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin