Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,255   Online: 759

Shooter
    Multi Format

ANSCO 130 vs. Agitation - wassup wi' dat...?

Is it just me - or are others here finding HUGE differences in resulting density (up to 2 stops) when using different agitation methods...? This is a problem for me since I've been trying to make some large prints based on small test strips - but am finding the density isn't even CLOSE...!! Any hints here? Or have I just lost my mind (yet ANOTHER distinct possibility!).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what paper are you using? I have not found there to be a 2 stop differance with the papers I have used, Kodak Polycontrast, Ilford VC, Forma and Salvic graded. I tilt the tray once every 30 seconds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forte Polygrade. Except that with the same paper i get perfectly consistent results in dektol. I thrash the tests about a little with the tongs - but I'm doing 20x24 test prints in 16x20 trays - so I'm using the 'towel method' to agitate the bigger prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, indeed. I've found that I can get the effect of water bath development by agitating in Ansco 130 for about 30-seconds, then letting the print simply sit in the developer. I believe I have gotten increased contrast through more rapid agitation, but I haven't really tested to be sure. I find the contraction very useful.
    juan
    Last edited by juan; 10-29-2007 at 02:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you using the Agfa 130 formula which is an MQ developer or the Agfa-Ansco 130 which is an MQ Glycin developer and quite different.

Normally with print development agitation doesn't make a lot of difference but if your using glycin it might, you'll be getting more oxidation because the large print isn't submerged all the time, you might need to increase the development time to compensate. I'm assuming its the large prints that are under-developed.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Ian - yup... it's the glycin version (i'm using the standard recipe) cut 1:1. I guess the ONLY WAY for me to get a consistent result is to tape my tests to a mylar sheet the same size as what I'm developing and put it through IDENTICAL agitation...!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin