Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,899   Posts: 1,521,076   Online: 917

Shooter
    Medium Format

Gross overexposure on Ilford 3200

Made the classic dumb move. Forgot to put the box tag on the camera, assumed FP4 was in the camera, shot a roll at 100, low and behold 3200 was in the camera. 120 film.

HITH does one adjust development for such a mistake? I have rodinal, TMaxRs and Pyrocat HD to use.

Thanks

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If the images are important, I wouldn't process the roll straight away.

I'd shoot 2 or 3 test rolls of nothing subjects, and processes sections these rolls in various combination of dilutions and times in your various developers to see what works best to save a gross over-exposure.

Once the correct combination is found for your working environment, then process the booboo roll.

I don't know Ilford 3200. I find Fuji Neopan 1600 isn't a 'true' 1600 for me. It's more of an 800 ISO film pushed to 1600. Perhaps Ilford works similarly, so a 100 ISO rating isn't necessarily 5-stops over-exposed.

Anyway, you'll have amazing shadow detail. (Grin)
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The situation you have is not so bad as you think. Some people rate 3200 at 800 to 1200 and get excellent results. Given that you rated it at 100 ISO you have overexposed by 3+ stops which is not really a big problem. I'd suggest you use Rodinal with a higher dilution, say 1 to 75 and dev for something like 10 minutes using semi stand development which should help hold the highlights. You have given no information about the contrast of the subject matter nor how you metered and these two factors will influence development and dilution.

I'm sure you will receive more suggestions and good luck when you finally dev the film. Please let us know how this turns out.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Les. I haven't used D3200 a whole lot, but remember the film processing person at the (very good) pro-lab I used to work at always held that the D3200 actually was a true 1200-speed film or thereabouts.
    ISO100 exposure can't be that bad, in terms of overexposure you always have latitude. Dilute developer (I use Pyrocat, but Rodinal would be good too) in semistand configuration. If the frames matter to you, shoot one more roll at EI 100, cut it up to thirds or so, and try a few various times with Rodinal 1+100 or similar. Remember that with a solution that dilute, it may exhaust too rapidly, so put plenty of solution into your tank, more than usual.
    I recently did this with Agfa APX400 exposed at EI 50 or so. That's a three stop over-exposure. Developed in Pyrocat-MC at 1+1+150 dilution was great and I have fairly normal looking negs that I think will print great.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Farmer's reducer if all else fails!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format

Gross overexposure

Thanks guys. The shots were pretty contrasty, morning sun on a foggy lake, so semi stand it is. The lake is nearby so no disaster if they are not great.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin