Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,440   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Experience with Super XX and Plus X?

Someone gave me several boxes of Super XX and Plus X, in 4x5. Does anyone have experience developing these in HC-110 in a rotary processor (Jobo CPE-2)? What would be a good starting time? Please don't send me to the massive dev chart. I am looking for folks with actual experience.

Is HC-110 a good choice for these films? What are the relative strengths of these two films? Portrraits? Landscape? General use?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    General use. Great tones. HC-110 dilution B is good choice. I think you can get developing times for Kodak films in HC-110 from Kodak websites. All sheet film from Kodak come with data sheets in the film box with popular developer choices and times and temperatures. If you are using a Jobo, I would use the time suggested for continuous agitation. Kodak generally always gave processing times for HC-110.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have souped both, but never in HC110. The sheet inside one of my sxx boxes states:
    Cont. Agitation times
    hc110 A 65f/18c 4min 68f/20c 3.25min
    hc110b 65f/18c 5min 68f/20c 4.25min

I have used with success
    D76 ei of 100 68f 13m 1:3
    Microdol-X ei of ~50 68f 11m (I think) 1:3
    ABC Pyro ei of ~25 The times and dilutions escape me but the pyro negs looked the best but the film speed was way to low for my intended uses.

I can't help you with PXP (except that I think it looks great in D76 rated @just under 100 and soup'd as per kodak's instructions)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Super XX?! That's some old stock and has certainly built up some base fog by now. Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee are still using this film, I would go to their website and forum to see what they recommend.

www.michaelandpaula.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They recommend DBI. I have 15yr out of date film (exp 1992) that has very little base fog, but appears to have lost speed -- I am unable to get a normal contrast neg at anything faster than about EI 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Super XX expired in 1988, but I can still use it at ISO 100 and get some nice negatives with a bit of fog. I use D-76 at 7 - 9 minutes.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE
    What dilution and temp are you useing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used the D-76 straight and at 68 deg F.

I should add that this was tray or tank, not rotary.

Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    HC-110 is the developer of choice for many photographers that like to use older out-of-date film and get good negatives. HC-110 tends to minimize age fog, unlike D-76..which will show a little more fog with old film. I have Plus-X from1982 that is just fine, when developed in HC-110b. You should always presoak in water, and I think from personal experience, this is quite important with older film, as it "opens up" the pores of the emulsion, so to speak, and allows for more even development across the whole face of the sheet. This is just a personal observation. A good soak for about 4 minutes in water same temp as developer is about right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first use of Super XX was at Brooks, first assignment, it is one of the films that can be used for nearly anything, I used it for medium shots of objects and developed it in HC110 dil. B. It's a very nice film, enjoy it. You may have to add some restrainer if fog shows up. Run one to see.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin