Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,683   Online: 1141

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have not had a had my own darkroom in a number of years. Maybe as long as 16. I that is how long we have lived in this house. I took over the front bath about 8 years ago.

As long as the light at the end of the tunnel is not a fast freight train to Georgia I agree.

As to the proposition with the people of Yoder, KS. I am game if you are. We could take my truck and I could ride in back with the tripod and the camera set up. Then we could jump in back and well, you get the drill.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Lee... About Yoder, Kansas...Well, I am not aware of their religion having anything incorporating hexes, voodoo, witchcraft and the like. I think that they are supposed to be non-violent...at least the last guy that made it back said that when they finally got him through therapy...So, what do you think...In other words, is your truck realllly faassst....?

Hey I bet that darkroom is looking awfully good after that bathroom, huh?

Later....
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Lee,

You are becoming my inspiration, as I transition from the kitchen to a real darkroom. I have opted for a basement that is already plumbed and wired and the hot water heater is there, but it's below the drain line. Same as you, Lee, as I recall.

dgh

David G Hall

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    dgh,
    I am glad that I am somebody's inspiration. There are pumps you can buy that will pump the effluent up to the drain level. My darkroom is on the main floor so I don't have that worry. I have used darkrooms like that in the past. I was not a problem.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I gave up on acid hardening fixers- since I use mostly staining and tanning developers, I have come to enjoy TF4 from photoformulary - I also realize that one image seems to take several attemps to achieve its full potential. I am rarely satisfied with the first attempt. For 4x5 - my primary tool, I only use PMK and (now) Tri-x for the most part. It seems I can rarely acheive the print I want until the second or third attempt. i am ok with this as my impression for where a negative can go will also change in-between printing sessions- Frank
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OleTj @ Mar 24 2003, 12:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ed Sukach @ Mar 21 2003, 02:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I can only remember two outstanding attributes of crystalline quartz - It has a very high index of refraction; and it can be made without "inclusions" that would cause the energy from a laser to be "grabbed" - absorbed and converted to heat.... LOTS of heat.

Plastics, generally, are transparent to UV.&nbsp; The only other material I know of with the requisite transparency is "Iceland Spar", otherwise known as "Calcite" or "Fluorite".
    Interesting stuff&nbsp; - Calcite is also the only material with two (2) indices of refraction.
    That DOES complicate optical design.
    </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Ed,

As a geologist I have to protest. "Iceland Spar" is Calcite, calcium carbonate. Fluorite is calcium fluoride; not the same thing at all. Fluorite has only one index of refraction, MOST other minerals - including quartz - have at least two. Calcite has one of the most pronounced differences, giving rise to the double refraction.

</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    More information about that UV Hasselblad lens...

I couldn&#39;t find the catalog information about the construction of this lens, but upon visiting the Edmund Scientific web site (&#33;&#33; Hah ... I remember them well... an echo into a sadly distant past) I came up with this, which should clarify UV lens element material somewhat.

"Calcium Flouride" (n.b. *ide*) PCX lenses - "Greater than 90% transmission from 250nm - 7um", (7,000 nm -that would be *far* infra red...). Calcium Flouride - CaF2 - (that last 2 should be a subscript).
    Fairly simple lenses that cost a lot.

From memory ... I recall an article in Scientific American where "Iceland Spar" - and its dual refraction index - was used effectively by the Vikings to navigate in fog, when the sun and stars were not visible.

I&#39;ll probably be more or less obsessed with finding information about UV lenses ... My name, "Sukach", was dreived from the Scandinavian root of the English "seek"... to search, so there must be some sort of gene echo at work.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Unless my illustrious forbears knew how to make a Nichol&#39;s prism, they couldn&#39;t have used "Iceland spar" as a polariser. There are many theories about which mineral was the "Sunstone", some of the theories are even plausible. But "Iolite" is not one of the good candidates...

Cyanite or "dicroite" (I can never remember what it&#39;s really called - scientifically speaking) seem to be favorites at present - at least among geologists.

Oddly enough, none of these would be of any help in dense fog. Neither would a polariser; only a compass would help. So it could have been Magnetite...

But this is getting really far off topic

From Norway,
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Aggie @ Apr 7 2003, 08:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Ed that was Iolite not Iceland spar the vikings used.&nbsp; It is the precursor to our modern polarizers</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Whooo ....

You are right, aggie. The Gemstone Iolite is also known as "Vikings Compass", and, apparently has been used in navigation, to determine the position of the sun in a thick fog. Precisely how - I don&#39;t know. Iolite is Magnesium Aluminum Silicate,
    Mg2Al4Si5O18.

Still, I remember the SA article specifially stating that Iceland Spar, CaCO3, is, and was, capable of being used in the same fashion.

I did a Google search fo both Iolite and Iceland Spar. An interesting site is (hold on ... I copied this by hand) http://kr.cs.ait.ac.th/~radok/physics/17.htm.

I think this site explains it all - in depth. After addressing it and trying to make sense of it ... I have a fairly intense headache. I&#39;m going to put my feet up and make short work of a glass of Jim Beam.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here&#39;s another link:
    http://www.polarization.com/viking/viking.html

I remain sceptical - even of the cordierite (Yes&#33; That&#39;s it&#33; The one I couldn&#39;t remember&#33; No wonder I couldn&#39;t remember "Iolite", it&#39;s a gemstone name for a mineral too soft to be a true gemstone)
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin