Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,972   Online: 1171

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In Norwegian, we use different words for gemstones (harder than 7.5) and "decorative stones" which are softer. Topaz, garnets, all versions of corundum etc. are "true" gemstones and will not be abraded by ordinary sand in the environment. They're also chemically stable (well - stabler) unlike Cordierite, which isn't. Not that you'd notice in less than a century...

Yes, Iolite/cordierite is dichroic. But it's not a terribly good polarizer, unlike Cyanite - which is actually trichroic! If you look at a Cyanite crystal through a polarizing filter, you can see the colours changing...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Next time you're out in fog, try locating the sun with a polariser.

Can't be done...

A nicely cleaved slice of cyanite can be used instead of an expensive filter; there's tons of perfect crystals up to 6 by 1 inches about 20 miles from my home. The locality is right next to where they supplied the entire country with millstones since prehistoric times, so the chances are the vikings knew about this.

Now, one of the biggest differences between cordierite and cyanite is that the latter easily cleaves into thin flakes, which cordierite doesn't...
    Norway

Images
    As to the first question about which enlarging paper one might wish to try, I have recently used Kodak Polymax Fine Art developed in VersaPrint. I think it is a wonderful and pleasing combination. I really enjoy these materials, and have more on order.

Images
    But even though I like Polymax because it looks good and prints easily, with great blacks, it will never look like Azo. Azo has more tonal range, and offers a clearer view.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have never tried Azo, nor do I know that I've seen it. In the meantime, my favorite is Oriental Seagull VC FB, either selenium toned or polysulfided without bleaching.
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    OleTj,
    I use the Seagull VC FB paper for my enlarging as well. I also use Azo for contact printing. There is no comparison between the two papers. The Azo prints have greater depth and tonality when developed in Amidol. I just wish there were a reasonably priced way to enlarge Azo.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    According to Michael Smith, there soon will be a viable enlarging bulb which will enable enlargements onto Azo without necessitating a separate power substation to run it. It should be installable in an Omega D2V. They've been working with the inventor who's in the process of ironing out the final kinks and patenting the thing. ETA 6-12 months. This could mean the difference between life or death for Azo.
    Jim

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am gonna go out on a limb here and guess that it is not gonna be cheap. Donald wished for a resonably priced way to enlarge Azo. I do not know, but I will bet "reasonably priced" is not one of the criteria.

lee\c

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin