Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,958   Online: 1114

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

wash aid - home brew

Just done a search on this and the most popular suggestion seems to be 1 teaspoon of sodium sulphite per litre of water - terrific because I've got plenty of it - just a couple of questions though - my tapwater is average ph so do I still need to use distilled water instead - also I realise its one-shot but will it keep for a couple of days in a lidded container or do I have to ditch it when I've finished the printing session?
    Thanks everyone. Patricia

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    just use regular tap water I been doing this for many years.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Patricia, Sodium Sulphite is perfect in approx the strength your using, Agfa B&W paper data sheets also recommend sodium carbonate.

I've never used distilled water to wash prints but I do carefully swab to remove all water from the emulsion surface before I dry them, so I don't get drying marks.

Personally I would use a small domestic (de-ionising) water filter system rather than commercial distilled or de-ionised water. These are so cheap and start at around £12/$24US for a jug type used to filter water before using in a kettle, many houses install larger in-line versions to provide drinking water at a kitchen tap.

I've not answered re-use but personally it's not worth it.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 11-02-2007 at 04:59 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If your tap water is reasonably clean, and most tap water in the US is, there's no need for anything else. Mix up the sulfite as recommended and use it. No wash aid at working strength has a long shelf life, so just chuck it at the end of the session.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is worth bearing in mind that not all tap water is treated/purified. I know from experience as our tap water comes from a borehole, is safe to drink but undrinkable due to high mineral/salt content.

If you get drying marks on your negatives then it is worth rinsing your negatives in distilled or de-ionised water, and if the water is particularly bad your prints as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tap water is fine, IMHO. The only time I use distilled water these days is during the summer when the cold water runs too hot. I keep several gallons of distilled water available in the darkroom to mix up diluted developer, fixer, stop bath, etc., because the water will then be the same temperature as the stock solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use sodium sulfite in tap water as a wash aid. My understanding though is that 20 grams/liter is the necessary amount, which works out to a scant tablespoon of sulfite not a teaspoon. Does anyone one know if this is correct?

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The formula I have says to add in a pinch of sodium bisulfite, though I don't bother with it. If you use a lot of sodium sulfite, as I do, you can get it a lot cheaper than the photo store or formulary price by going to a regular scientific supply or chemical supply house. I get 50 pounds for 60 dollars. Or maybe it is 60 pounds for 50 dollars. Whatever it lasts a long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I buy the mentioned sulfites from this place:

http://www.chemistrystore.com/index.html

There may be a cheaper source but the prices here are pretty good compared to photo-designated chemical sources.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hey

the home brewed washaid with bisulfit or Na carbonate or even salt, normal NaCl kan be used ,never use destilled or softed water for m ,the more salt in the water the better it can be used as a washaid ,seewater is the cheapest if you live close enough

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin