Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,315   Online: 881

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stand edge effects with 3 developers

Earlier I identified some films that produce edge effects with Rodinal stand development,see post 7 here:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/2...nce-films.html
    Films are Adox/Efke 25 and 100,Plus-X,Tri-X and HP5.
    Now I tested FX-2 (stand),Rodinal and Pyrocat HD (semi-stand) for edge effects with Plus-X 120 printed 11x14.Pictures were of buildings along a river bank taken from a bridge, sun/shade. All 3 developers gave slight haloes (edge effects) round dark buildings,My impressions:
    FX-2 half strength -ISO 100, halo slightly obscured by grain.
    Rodinal 1:200 -ISO 64,very sharp edges, not much halo.
    Pyrocat HD 1:1:200 -ISO 100,quite sharp,probably the most halo(edge effect)
    For Plus-X I used Pyrocat HD 1:1:200 agitate 1min,stand till 25 min then agitate 10 sec then stand till 50min 68F, prints on grade 2.

Any observations on stand/semi stand effects?

Forgot to mention that in the case of the semi-stand developed negs the 1/4 inch of negative nearest the top of the plastic reel was overdeveloped (due to some flow effect?) and was not printed. For the stand developed negs the top 3/4 inch was overdeveloped.

Images
    I presume you checked these halo effects with a magnifier to see how much was due to the eye's treatment of sharp images. When you got the most halo, was the effect pleasing or a spectacle in itself? I have seen some that made me think I should have agitated more.
    Gadget Gainer

I have stood the pyrocat semi stand developed print alongside one that was developed with normal agitation and comparing the two from a couple of feet away can see that the semi stand one has a slight halo and the other does not.
    There is no doubt the effect is real, my experiments photographing gray card on black card show light lines that are easily visible in 10x enlargements and under the microscope.
    Is it pleasing?Well I like to think it is a way of providing apparent sharpness so yes.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
    Forgot to mention that in the case of the semi-stand developed negs the 1/4 inch of negative nearest the top of the plastic reel was overdeveloped (due to some flow effect?) and was not printed. For the stand developed negs the top 3/4 inch was overdeveloped.
    I like the extra sharpness one can get with semi-stand developed film, but the uneven development you describe would be a big concern. How did you develop the negatives? In a tray, tube, slosher?

Sandy

My initial test with pyrocat semi stand was just to look at edge effects and not the best technique. 120 film was loaded onto a Paterson plastic reel and developed in a Paterson plastic tank using 550ml developer instead of the recommended 500ml.
    The Rodinal negs all had 1/4 inch at the top of the reel overdeveloped and some apparent airbells.The pyrocat negs look more uniformly developed but still had airbells and to avoid these I did not print the top 1/4 inch of negative.
    It is possible that if the airbells can be avoided with a presoak and possibly with a stainless reel and tank there may be no uniformity problem with Pyrocat semi stand,I have not tried this yet.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Agitation

It is my experience that the particular method of agitation is extremely critical with any reduced agitation form of development.

I might suggest that with roll film the agitation process must take place in a rolling manner thereby reducing the amount of chemistry build up and runoff from the edge of each reel and then returning to an upright position to "stand".

Maybe someday there will be discussion on the creative possibilities the technique affords the photographer rather than just a reference to increased sharpness.

Cheers!
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Maybe someday there will be discussion on the creative possibilities the technique affords the photographer rather than just a reference to increased sharpness."

I’d like to read that. However, I must confess that I occasionally find myself struggling with the basics so I’m not one to participate…

All best
    Claes

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    It is my experience that the particular method of agitation is extremely critical with any reduced agitation form of development.

I might suggest that with roll film the agitation process must take place in a rolling manner thereby reducing the amount of chemistry build up and runoff from the edge of each reel and then returning to an upright position to "stand".

Maybe someday there will be discussion on the creative possibilities the technique affords the photographer rather than just a reference to increased sharpness.

Cheers!
    Steve,

Although I am aware of many of the creative possibilities of stand and semi-stand development I normally mention only the issue of sharpness because that is primary reason why I would practice this type of agitation.

However, don't be modest. Readers should know that you published two excellent articles on the use of stand and semi-stand development in View Camera. May I suggest that you consider sending these article to Ed Buffaloe at unblinkingeye.com, who I think would be very interested in placing them on his site. That way should someone ask about this technique in the future we can direct the interested party to the web site with your articles. Just for the record, a number of articles that were first published in View Camera can be seen at www.unblinkingeye.com.

Check it out if interested by contacting Ed directly.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Efke 100 & Pyrocat

Alan, here's a crop from a 35mm shot done with Efke 100, pyrocat-hd and minimal agitation. The crop is from a 5x7 print, which was actually only about 1/2 of the film's area in the enlargement. The edge effects can be clearly seen at areas of higher contrast. This was done with a dilution of 1:1:150 and a rest of 3 minutes between agitation cycles. It seems to be the most edge I have in a print, which shows the effects of slow development on this film. In a larger format, this edge would not be so pronounced, due to the smaller enlargement factor. The sharpness is still quite evident when using minimal agitation or stand development in larger formats. Shadows are much better detailed and sharper than those in a normal agitation scheme and overall tonality is better than anything else I have developed. Thanks again Sandy. Best, tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails e100min.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin