Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,180   Online: 787

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    [for now] Arizona, U. S. A. [near future?] "Land of Enchantment"[NM]
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

My Dark-room experiences

Since I'm very new to this portion of APUG--I'm usually in the '35mm camera' forum, I'd like to speak/write of what's happening to me since I've begun using a wet dark-room for my Photography level 1 class in college.
    I'm about to begin my 12th week of a 16-week long semester. When I began this "adventure" within the dark-room on-campus, I was nervous as a new-born kitten!!:o I still get apprehensive of loading the film onto those reels!! The only saving grace I had was to: practice practice practice!!! I am, finally, getting more adept at this 'loading' business; not prefect, but decidedly better!
    In my estimation, the most fun part is to see the image go from what appears, to the unaided eye, on RC paper, as blank to what I had seen in the viewfinder of my camera, while in the development fluid. That's when I feel I am a magician of sorts--or at least an alchemist!!
    Photography so rocks!! Long live film photography!!!
    [FONT=Verdana]"the real truth of a photographic image is in its ability to evoke emotion."--Bryan Peterson[/FONT]
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]My Muse wheels Herself about in a wheel-chair![/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    04 Nov 2007

Wheelygirl:

Welcome to the wonders of the darkroom. It only get more exciting as you explore different ways of processing and printing. There are so many possibilites. The adventure has only begun, and have lots of FUN.

Please continue to post your question in this forum, there is a tremendous amount of experience to be accessed. I have found it to be invaluable when I have had a question.

Regards,
    Darwin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It gets easier as you go and soon you'll be a pro. It also helps to practice in daylight with the eyes closed and to use easy loading reels. My Jobo's are nice for loading.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That feeling never goes away. In fact, I think I enjoy the darkroom work at least as much, if not not more, than actually taking pictures. To my mind the hand printing and manipulation is a big part of what can elevate photography from a mechanical process to an art form. The more I learn about what the chemistry does and why, the more fascinating photography becomes. Enjoy!

- Justin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After 30 years, it's still fun for me! Welcome to the darkroom!

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    More fun than ever after 25 years and counting!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's great to hear you're enjoying the darkroom work. I love watching the print come up in the developer. That's the kind of magic photoshop can never deliver.
    Carry on having fun!
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    35mm
    When loading film onto a reel there is still a point in the process where I wonder if the film is actually loading or my hand is simply slipping on the edges and I conclude I'll never get there. Surely even 36 frames can't take this long! Only to find that suddenly that I am pulling the cassette into the reel and thus it has loaded and it's time for the scissors, a sigh of relief and a little glow of satisfaction when the tank lid clicks and everything is safe.

If it was my job to load film 8 hours a day, I might get a little complacent about it but I'd be less excited about the process and that feeling of excitement is one I don't want to lose.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've loaded reels off and on for 25 years. If I've been doing a bunch, it's fine. But I still have trouble if I haven't done any for awhile. Just keep in practice - it gets easier.

And I still love to see the print come up, too. It really is like magic. Sometimes, I think I shoot so that I can print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still close my eyes when loading film, even when it's pitch black which has caused problems when there's been a slight light leak in the room.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin