Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,931   Online: 817

Shooter
    Pinhole

paper curves: graded & VC

Can someone please explain from a technical standpoint how graded papers 'work' and if they have different curves, what do they mean?

Now moving the question to VC papers, are there grades there also?

I am looking or answers detached from 'normal' use with filters etc. for an experiment to use VC paper with a green enlarger source for a green monochromatic lens and want to understand whether 'any' paper can be made to work with the right exposure time or if some will have too short a range.

If this is the case, say, analogous to the 'range' challenge presented by graphic arts film and paper negatives on the film side, people have conquered this (choice of developer for the film and pre-flashing paper makes it workable).

Thank you

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Murray - here - read this first. There's LOTS of stuff on the net. I'd recommend learning the basics before going on to speculative things that may not work.

http://www.plumeltd.com/artzone/paperzone/ilfcont.htm

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thanks - I'm just dying to do something with this lens, and I realized blue was probably not a good idea for this lens (they had blue-monochromatic models; I just happened to get the green one - it was eBay), although it would be perfect for graded paper, which is blue sensitive.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    not sure I get what you mean by 'green lens' and 'blue lens' murray. Are you talking about older lenses built for monochrome graphic arts repro work?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Yes, 27" f/8 Opti-Copy made by Corning Tropel. I only know it was designed around green (some were blue) because I had correspondence with the optics QC guy who inspected the lenses when delivered.

Thanks
    Murray

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin