Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,698   Online: 791

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Long wash Times with RC paper

I have been told that long wash times will fog RC paper. True or False?

Thanks,
    Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    False. It may wash the "brighteners" out of the paper though. Two minutes wash seems to be the accepted time for RC; I wash mine for one minute.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Second the above. I've found that if total 'wet time' (print-stop-fix-wash) exceeds about 20 mins, with some papers the surface can start separating from the backing paper. (although if you're careful and/or very steady-handed this can be a good way of making large contact negs from transparencies!)

Rob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may cause edge frilling or separation of the RC from the paper in the 'sandwich' of 2 plastic layers with paper in between.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Besides the mechanical separation of the layers, can the optical brighteners get washed out?
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have, on ocassion, overwashed my RC prints. No, the optical brighteners didn't wash out. The biggest problem is that water softens the corners of the print and they get damaged.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, they will not wash out.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I often have RC prints soaking in a tray for at least two hours if not more. I'm lazy about washing and I prefer to print... So I just accumulate prints in a tray until I'm tired of printing, and then give them a few minutes rinse in running water.

Never seen any degradation of the image, but I do get the occasional buckling. A strong squeegeeing flattens everything, and you're set.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I find with the RC paper I use that long wet times make for prints that will not ever again lie flat. I generally print with fiber paper and i leave the wash to the end of the day. RC is a pain in the rear if you do a bunch of it because you have to keep washing it right away. At least that is my experience. Never had it lose brightners though. Long wash times with the old Ilford fiber based Warm tone used to cause it to get warmer in the paper base. Not sure if it still does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is exactly what happened with me when I used Mitsubishi Gekko paper and printed at a friend's house. I had to transport the photos back to my house somehow, and I did so 'in the wet'. So the prints were in water for 2 hours or more at a time.
    However, I also used Agfa MCP quite a bit and experienced yellowing of that paper if it was left in the wash for too long. Those are the only two RC papers I've exposed to this type of abuse.
    - Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It may cause edge frilling or separation of the RC from the paper in the 'sandwich' of 2 plastic layers with paper in between.

PE
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin