Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 763

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Gentle agitation

In the rodinal semi stand disaster thread Gainer asked what is the definition of GENTLE agitation and what is its virtue. I have not got a clue ,but this is what I do: (1) I gently invert my paterson tank letting the developer flow smoothly through the reels just fast enough so that the dev does not froth or splash about. (2) I then swirl the tank anti-clockwice twice (3) The tank is returned upright and inverted again, this time I swirl it twice clockwise. (4) Once the tank is upright again I rap it twice on my worktop to remove air bubbles. I have always done this. Have I been missing something? Is there any good reason not to continue doing this?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you are consistent with your methods and happy with your results, then you got it made! I usually miss a cycle somewhere along the line, trying to find my bottle of beer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    One should never have consumable beverages in the dark room anyway. Picking up the wrong vessel in the dark or semi-dark can be very dangerous.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I figured that he loaded the film in a changing bag and was processing in the kitchen with the lights on. That way he could safely drink the beer and be close to the source.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "I figured that he (...) was processing in the kitchen with the lights on. That way he could safely drink the beer and be close to the source."

Is there any other way???

Not sure of the real definition of "gentle agitation" either. I invert twice every 30 seconds, rap the tank on the table, give it a little turn...and have a sip of beer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    One should never have consumable beverages in the dark room anyway. Picking up the wrong vessel in the dark or semi-dark can be very dangerous.
    My beer mug isn't shaped like any of my developing tools. Never have beer in the darkroom.... :rolleyes: more like never enter the darkroom without a beer.

Extra edge density on roll film can occur:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/2...agitation.html
    For semi stand,where I obtained extra edge density with gentle inversion,I am going to try twirling with the spin stick.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    If I kept my selenium toner in a wine glass, I would worry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Wallace View Post
    If I kept my selenium toner in a wine glass, I would worry.
    But where else should one keep it
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I tend to do the drinking BEFORE developing or deciding to develop. I'm always surprised when I don't screw up
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin