Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,120   Online: 1115

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used the Delta Datatainer bottles. They are really great as they have spaces to write and erase info on. I was given a few vintage ones with my darkroom set up and I have bought a few that I plan to never have to replace. They are great bottles and are worth $3.99/gallon bottle.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format

Colored or Colorless ---

Colored or Colorless, to suit me it must be clear.
    See the chemistry in the bottle and the bottle
    clean after wash.

Amber glass Boston Rounds are my choice.
    They are not expensive. Much used for
    chemical storage. Narrow and wide
    mouth and a choice of caps. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the obligatory caution of using any common food/drink bottle when small kids are in the house, I like bottles that held carbonated liquids. The caps tend to be more air tight. I use them for working solutions.

But since plastic does tend to be more air permeable (even if holding liquids), I prefer glass for working solutions. I still have some that I got from pharmacies a while back but I don't know if they still get anything in glass anymore nor whether (for liability reasons) they give them away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, I'm using plastic soda pop bottles for almost everything these days. I don't have a problem with gas permeability, and they won't shatter into sharp little shards if you drop one. Trust me, you will. Since I keep all that stuff in the darkroom, the color of the bottle doesn't matter. They're in the dark anyway, so what does it matter? Can't do that? Put the bottles in a box and close the lid.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Why do people think the bottles need to be dark? Is this based on any fact at all, or just FUD?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Why do people think the bottles need to be dark? Is this based on any fact at all, or just FUD?
    First of all, what is FUD? Secondly, I always heard it thusly: "They say" that clear glass has an alkalinity that can leach into the contents of the bottle; whilst dark glass bottles do not.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I need heavy duty one gallon plastic bottles to store and then carry spent fixer to the silver reclaiming process at school, half hour drive away. The semi clear jugs windshield washer antifreeze comes in are quite strong. Four fit in an empty cardboard carton that a dozen quarts of motor oil come in. I use a wheeled luggage carrier to get them from the parking lot into school. Everything in the process is reusable.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    First of all, what is FUD? .....
    Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt
    To expand, the story goes something like this:

In the 60s and 70s, IBM was rarely the leader from a technical standpoint. They succeeded in marketing because, as the market leader, they could succeed by spreading "fear, uncertainty, and doubt" about competitors, particularly upstarts. A parallel saying was "no one was ever fired for choosing IBM".

With few exceptions, this basically held during the big mainframe era, but effectively ended when companies like HP, Sun, and DEC became prominent in the "mini computer" era (notwithstanding the fact that DEC is no more).

Shooter
    35mm

Cheap Storage Bottles

My favorite bottles for developers are Grolsch swing top beer bottles. They are dark green in color and keep the air out. The beer is pretty good too. If the gaskets get too old you can get new ones from a brewing supply company. The labels shoud be soaked off and the bottles should be clearly labeled so no one mistakes D-76 for Grolsch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin