Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,063   Online: 800

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cheap Storeage Bottles

Dark bottles for storeage of chemicals , can be a added expense to set-ing up ones dark room, even only a half darkroom for film processing only! What I did was get a can of Plastic paint spray and proceded to spray Power- aid btls black for my chemical storeage : The plastic btls are left over after you drink the contents and the paint for a large spray can of black 3.97 : so my cost is about 30-40 cents per bottle ?

A lot better than paying $3.00 to 5.00 per bottle !

just my two cents to help save money and recycle plastic btls!

So if some one is just starting out this is one way to save money:
    Lauren MacIntosh
    When one's life Ends, then one becomes Life's history !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I buy 1000ml and 500 ml bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide (brown #2) for under $1.00 a piece. A little piece of saran rap under the lid and you're golden for cheap...

Shooter
    35mm
    I've also done the spray-paint trick; however, it's got some serious drawbacks. Over time, the paint will flake away, which both reduces its effectiveness and poses a risk of contamination of the bottles' contents, particularly if you paint close up to the lip of the bottle. I think that wrapping paper, tape, or aluminum foil around a bottle would be a safer method of darkening a clear bottle.

For cheap dark 1-liter glass bottles, consider IBC Root Beer bottles; these are dark brown in color and cost only whatever the current price for the root beer is, and you get the root beer to boot, if you like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

clear bottles kept in the dark?

I use amber glass for developers, usually because they are for sale at the essential oil suppliers that I buy stuff from to also make my soaps (another hobby). In my past I have used glass popo bottles with saran wrap lids - and kept them in the dark 99% of the time cupboard in the kitchen, and later, the darkroo once I built one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I asked my pharmacist about dark bottles. She sold me 500ml plastic bottles for less than a dollar each. They have ml scales on the sides too. I keep dektol in them, 250ml + 500ml water works for an 8X10 tray.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A clear bottle stored in the dark is as good as a dark bottle. My diluted T-Max developer lasts up to a year in soft drink bottles stored in black plastic photo paper envelopes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Look in your laundry room.

There you will find many dark "bottles" - most of them plastic.

If you do not have a laundry room - go to your supermarket. Housebrand bleach is usually about 69 cents a gallon and often comes in brown plastic bottles. Most laundry detergents (e.g. Wisk) come in colored bottles with a measuring strip along the handle side.

If worse comes to worse - buy some cheap beer (or better stuff if you want to drink it) in quart (or even 40 oz.) bottles.

Seems like folks in this "throw away" society do not see the "values" around them!

EDIT: Just remember, always "re-label" your re-used bottles with the contents! We've had these thread before and we're about to get the horror stories from the "Net Nannies" about how someone almost sucked down a bottle of fixer thinking it was a bottle of Bud!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go to your local church and ask them to save the glass bottles that held the sacrament wine. I got 10 x 1 gallon, dark green wine bottles with nice screw caps. Of course, check first to be sure they use the colored bottles...

I figure, with my photographic skills, I need all the divine inspiration that might be residue in the glass...

Of course, you could just take up drinking and cut out the middle man. Probably cheaper that photography...
    Last edited by Kino; 11-10-2007 at 01:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Go to your local church and ask them to save the glass bottles that held the sacrament wine. I got 10 x 1 gallon, dark green wine bottles with nice screw caps. Of course, check first to be sure they use the colored bottles...

I figure, with my photographic skills, I need all the divine inspiration that might be residue in the glass...

Of course, you could just take up drinking and cut out the middle man. Probably cheaper that photography...
    This makes me ask: "What ever happened to modafoto and the Church of Rodinal?"

I hope he is well.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    This makes me ask: "What ever happened to modafoto and the Church of Rodinal?"

I hope he is well.

Matt
    Alive and well...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin