Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,961   Posts: 1,523,127   Online: 977

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: AZO?

Shooter
    Multi Format

AZO?

Okay, so I know that Azo is a silver chloride paper. Everyone is always talking about the joys and capabilities of silver chloride papers. But what's the significance of the name? Surely there's some azo compound in the paper? What is it? Is it in any way chemically similar to the azo dyes I read about in other photographic papers like ciba/ilfochrome? In general, are Azo papers (Kodak and non-Kodak) unique because of some combination of silver chloride and azo compounds, that might separate them from non azo containing silver chloride papers? Sorry, lots of technical questions I know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, I just won't do it, I'm tempted but I just can't.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Am I that stupid?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let me guess. They call it Azo because of Amidol?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are no Azo chemicals in Azo paper. Azo is a trade name for a particular Silver Chloride contact paper which used to be made by Kodak. At one time, most paper manufacturers had a similar paper. Velox is another paper that was made by Kodak that was similar. Many paper names are just trade names.
    Azo has developed a legendary following since its demise. This is partially due to the quality of the images, and partially due to the fact that no one is making a similar paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right, but you didn't answer my question. Why would they call the paper Azo if there are no azo compounds in the paper? Is it because it used to only be developed in amidol or something?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Like any other silver paper, you can develop Azo in just about anything you want to. There are just a few highly visible practitioners of the Azo/Amidol pairing, and so people think the two are a requirement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand that, but it still doesn't answer my question...

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Perhaps PE will chime in here with some back story about this name; however, how does anything acquire a name.

Sometimes it may have something to do with it's make up or just a marketing whim.

Years ago my favorite paper was Brovia, heaven only knows why it was called that and frankly it never crossed my mind to wonder about it's name, altho i still miss it's wonderful blacks.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FYI It was called brovira because it was a bromide paper. I'm hoping that PE will, indeed, chime in at some point.

This is along the same lines of why I'm wondering about the name Azo for a paper that apparently doesn't have any azo in it!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin