Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,808   Online: 921

Shooter
    35mm

Ilford Multigrade vs. Dektol (for film)

I was hoping to experiment with Tri-X souped in Dektol for a grainier effect, however the local shop is out of Dektol at the moment

They do, however, have some Ilford Multigrade (which actually might be easier for me to work with, being in a concentrate form). I've done some searching, and it seems it *might* be more-or-less equivalent to the Dektol, at least for paper development.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has tried film in the IM and can compare it to Dektol esp. as it relates to graininess.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dektol is not as grainy as you might think, but it is usable.

I use Dektol 1:3 for 3 minutes or 1:7 for 7 minutes for most films. It seems to work reasonably well.

BTW, I was taught this by David Vestal and Al Weber at a Formulary workshop that I took a few years back.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Were those times/dilutions at box speed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, but I cannot guarantee all films. I would shoot 1/3 stop over to be safe with most films. I only tried 2 or 3 and my own emulsion.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    And to clarify, were those times at 20C ? The Massive Dev Chart lists Tri-X 400 at 400, 3.5 min at 24C, so just want to compare with your experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use 20 deg C or 68 F for all of my B&W work and some color printing.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    I was hoping to experiment with Tri-X souped in Dektol for a grainier effect, however the local shop is out of Dektol at the moment

They do, however, have some Ilford Multigrade (which actually might be easier for me to work with, being in a concentrate form). I've done some searching, and it seems it *might* be more-or-less equivalent to the Dektol, at least for paper development.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has tried film in the IM and can compare it to Dektol esp. as it relates to graininess.

Thanks!
    In the past, I have push developed Tri-X in diluted Ilford PQ Universal Developer. The resulting Tri-X grain size was still reasonably fine.

Ilford PQ Universal developer and Ilford Multigrade are both Phenidone/Hydroquinone developers with very similar characteristics.

Ilford PQ Universal developer, used as a paper developer, produces results that are similar to those produced by Dektol.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin