Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,791   Online: 1156

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Proper slosher agitation

I'm using a 6 negative 4x5 slosher and was wondering what the proper agitation method is. I was thinking maybe 30 seconds or a minute at first and then 5 seconds every 30? Thanks. Shawn

Shooter
    35mm
    That's what I do, more or less, depending on developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Continuous for the first 30 seconds, and then for five seconds at thirty second intervals.

To agitate, I lift a corner of the slosher, and then drop it back into the tray. Then I lift and drop the diamtrically opposing corner. Typically, about 8 lifts (four for each opposing corner) in a five second interval. Then, I gently wiggle the slosher for a second or so to dislodge any bubbles that may have formed on the film

Do bubbles actually form? Beats me - I develop in total darkness so I can't see them if they do. But that wiggle seems like a good thing to do.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jason. I was using tubes and rolling them in water with Pyrocat HD. When I used the slosher with that developer I agitated gently but pretty much continuously with my old times and the negatives look great.

When I opened my box of Tmax100 I switched to D-76 1+1 and tried the same thing, gentle continuous agitation, my skies looked a little funky. (see my image in the Standard Gallery) I'm thinking for Tmax and D-76 1+1 the first 30sec and then 5 every 30 routine that Louie mentioned might work better?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    To agitate, I lift a corner of the slosher, and then drop it back into the tray.
    Of course, for this to be "proper agitation", you must keep the little finger extended - - -

Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What films/developers are you using with this method, Louie?

Shooter
    35mm
    I really tend to bang things around for the first thirty or so. I think it's a left over from developing roll film in my high school darkroom.
    When I agitate, every 30 or so, I agitate, not simply swishing one sheet up the stack, or tilting the slosh tray, but tilting, and wiggling the tray in a semi vigorous fashion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've posted this several times before. With a slosher tray (Summitek or PF) I agitate by lifting alternate corners of the tray and then releasing the tray and allowing gravity to complete the cycle. So, for an agitation cycle I lift the upper right tray corner and release, then lift the lower left corner and release. I do all of this very gently.

I use this agitation technique for Minimal Agitation development and Semi-Stand development with Pyrocat-HD and all Pyrocat (P, PC, MC, etc) variations. I also use it for developing with Crawley's FX-2.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    What films/developers are you using with this method, Louie?
    I use HC-110 dilution H almost exclusively. Films are usually Ilford HP5 or Efke 100.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    I've posted this several times before. With a slosher tray (Summitek or PF) I agitate by lifting alternate corners of the tray and then releasing the tray and allowing gravity to complete the cycle. So, for an agitation cycle I lift the upper right tray corner and release, then lift the lower left corner and release. I do all of this very gently.

I use this agitation technique for Minimal Agitation development and Semi-Stand development with Pyrocat-HD and all Pyrocat (P, PC, MC, etc) variations. I also use it for developing with Crawley's FX-2.
    Films are Tmax-100, Tmax-400, Efke 25, Efke 100, Foma 100 and Foma 200. In the sloshers I develop 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 sheet film.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin