Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,696   Online: 855

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Oriental Warmtone-yellowish/brownish edges

Dear all,
    I recently tried Oriental VC papers for the first time, and really liked them, particularly the warmtone. I know the paper base is kind of yellow, but I liked how the image itself didn't have a yellow tinge to it, it looked kind of neutral, actually, and took toners nicely. (At least in my *very* unscientific experiment.) However, the edges of the paper have a yellow to almost brown stain on them that seemed to go away when I toned them, in fact the lab tech who was working in the darkroom where I print asked me if I was using an old paper. During the same printing session I also used the regular non-warm tone Oriental, and that paper did not have the stainy looking edges. I'll try later to see if I can scan a print that might show this, but it's just a slight yellowing on the edges of the paper. The border around the image is yellow, the color of the paper base, and then darkens as it goes to the edge of the paper. Is this normal, or is there something I did wrong? I think I'd like to start using this paper more regularly, so if anyone has any hints about it, please let me know.
    Thanks very much!
    Julie

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I had the same problem with Oriental VC regular tone. The edges were browned and looked old. I sent the paper back for a refund and haven't used Oriental since.

Shooter
    35mm
    Even it it's fixable you'd have to like the paper a lot to be bothered. At least I would. It might be the batch you have but if not, it would be another vote for Ilford or Kentmere for me.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it is RC paper, I suspect edge creep of chemistry. Brown edges is common with poorly made RC. This is particularly evident with color, but can be seen with B&W.

Basically, the developer and hypo bleed in the paper edges, and then don't wash properly. This leaves behind a yellow-brown stain.

If it is FB, IDK offhand what it might be.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it was fiber paper.
    I was trying some different papers, and I really did like the Oriental. I'll try another box before I make a firm decision, I guess. I tried Kentmere, and I wanted to really like it, but it fogged in the darkroom that I use. (or else it was fogged when I got it, but I did a safelight test with coins, and it definitely fogged.) Oriental and Ilford did not. The problem with Ilford is that I just really don't like the green color of the warmtone, and I don't want to have to tone just to get rid of the green. Nor do I really want to tone just to get rid of a yellow edge. Oh well.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I had the same problem with Oriental VC. I got the stains out with ferricyanide bleach. It took only a brief application with a brush to the stained areas.
    It added a few minutes to the process, no big deal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.
    I've noticed that the paper either on the top or bottom of the bag tends to stain more than the sheets from the center of the bag. Weird. The other thing I've been trying is a longer fix, and if I'm alone in the darkroom and have the space I'll use two fix baths. Essentially I had decided that when I'm out of this paper (I had gotten some for Christmas) that I probably won't use it again, but if the extra fixing and then perhaps a quick bleaching work maybe I'd keep trying. Thanks!
    J

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sheets at the top or bottom are looser in the package and are affected by aerial oxidation and other crud faster than the paper sandwiched tightly in the center of the pack.

The paper probably has bad keeping in and of itself. If Ferri gets rid of it, then it is fog.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the same results. The white is cream at best. I used Formula 130 as a developer. I also noticed that if you use selinum it will increase the brown to almost a redish tone. The paper has its place. The warmtone is nice but the blacks dont pop out like I expected. What developer did you use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you, PE, fascinating as always!

I print in a classroom darkroom, so I just used the provided chemistry, and I think the developer is Polymax. I didn't notice the blacks not popping, I was all right with the tonal range on both the warm tone and regular, my biggest problem is this staining. I didn't get too reddish with the selenium on the WT, but the sepia can get orangey sick looking, I found. I got no discernible color change on the regular tone VC with selenium. After I finish up this box, it's probably back to Ilford for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin