Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,465   Online: 937

Shooter
    Multi Format

Amidol Warm Tone

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to start developing my Ektalure in amidol. I've not used amidol before, though of course have read much about it. I was thinking I would probably order one of the amidol kits from Formulary. I was thinking Weston.

Anyway, of course one of the things I love most about Ektalure is its creamy base and warmth. I've read that amidol will tend to produce cool tones, and the stuff I want to print, for now, I want to be a little warm. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on which warming toners might work best for this application (and/or warn me against anything). Particularly if any of you seasoned guys have developed Ektalure in amidol, I'd really appreciate the advice.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I haven't tried Ektalure in amidol, but you're lucky to have some Ektalure. I've used Michael Smith's amidol formulas for Azo and for enlarging papers quite a bit, and both have worked well, and they are simple to mix yourself. You might try the enlarging paper formula, see how it looks, and then for a little more warmth, you could try increasing the KBr. You could try it with the Weston formula as well.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not used Ektalure in amidol, but I have used other papers in Michael A. Smith's formulas. I currently use Kentmere Kentona with a modified amidol formula in which I have added KBr and benzotriazol. The purpose was to get rid of the yellowing Kentona exhibits sometimes, but I found that by varying the balance of KBr and benzo, I achieved a warmer tone that I like. I think you could produce a tone you'd like, but it will probably take some experimenting.
    juan

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used Ektalure in Amidol [still have some!] and when Selenium toned it did produce warmer tones than prints done in my usual Beers. BTW, I used the Rayco Amidol developer which tends to be neutral toned.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin