Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,144   Online: 1132

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anybody ever tried TMAX400 in Microdol-X?

I recently found a old can of Microdol-x. I want to try it on a roll of 120 TMAX400. I was just wondering if anybody here had tried that combination before? What might I expect? Do most people use it undiluted or is there a prefered dilution 1:1, 1:3? I will be running it in my JOBO.
    Keep Film Alive, Shoot Everyday!
    JamiesInfraredPhotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy22 View Post
    I recently found a old can of Microdol-x. I want to try it on a roll of 120 TMAX400. I was just wondering if anybody here had tried that combination before? What might I expect? Do most people use it undiluted or is there a prefered dilution 1:1, 1:3? I will be running it in my JOBO.
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...17.14.10&lc=en

Kodak posts small tank developing info for New Tmax 400 and Microdol-X undiluted and Microdol-X diuted 3:1. For developing with the Jobo (continuous agitation ??) you would need to test.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried TMY in Perceptol 1:3 about a year ago, but haven't had time to print yet. I took Barry Thornton's advice of shooting at EI 200 and cutting development time by 10% (from his book The Edge of Darkness). But I also went to semi-stand and extended the time appropriately, so that's the opposite direction from the one you're headed. The negatives look very good, perhaps overdeveloped a hair, but that could be my semi-stand adjustments being off a bit. Thornton was after greatest perceived sharpness, better shadow detail, and less apparent grain.

Microdol-X is a close equivalent of Perceptol, so the advice to shoot at EI 200 and cut development 10% from manufacturer's recommendations with TMY would still apply. You'd normally need to back off a bit more for constant rotary agitation, although with the Jobo and the 5 minute pre-soak now recommended, you might be pretty close at just the 10% reduction in time.

I didn't shoot any densitometry test frames on the film I shot, so can't give you numbers.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Recently I've done a good amount of TMX in Microdol-X, 1:0 and rated at 64. Its a decently close look to the classic Panatomic-X in Microdol-X, very close.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin