Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,777   Online: 1011

Shooter
    35mm

fly with the bulk loading film

I know this similar topic has been going thru many times. I am just wondering if anyone has flied with the bulking loading film and request the hand inspection with higher successful rate. Essentially I am planning on flying aboard with Tri-X. I usually load them myself. I am thinking if I just hand them the changing back and the film box and let the inspector hand check the film in the back, then he can x-ray the back and the cartridges, not the film, will this be more reasonable for both sides?

Any inputs???

Shooter
    35mm
    I didn't have any problems the times I did it with rolls - they know what it is and how to handle it. As long as the box is still sealed, it shouldn't be an issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    last time i flew ( june 2007 ) and before that december (2006 )
    both at logan, heathrow and basel they didn't hand inspect when i asked
    them to. they xrayed everything. about 6 times each way
    between boston and basel. it was a major bummer ...
    i didn't have bulk load film but tons of 120, 35mm and 120 film, and
    luckily none was bothered by the xrays.

i was however asked by the good folks at heathrow what the heck was in my bag
    and when i demo'd the graflex series d, the guy giggled and told his co-workers about it ...
    ask me how ..

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had no problem getting a hand inspection of film a few months ago, in either San Francisco or O'Hare airports. I was a little nervous too, but I threw some regular rolls and bulk-loaded rolls together in a plastic zip-loc bag, and asked nicely. (Nicely, but with the expectation that hand inspection was a right, not a favor.) There was no issue at all. They must have seen a lot of it by now. -Laura

Shooter
    35mm RF
    CDG in Paris is a bummer! They didn't want to know! All my film went thru the x-ray finally. I went back to get IDs of staff and they all covered their badges.
    Referred me to their boss - some fink in downtown Paris.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry to thread-jack here, but a tip for anyone traveling with sheet:

Buy some X-Ray film on ebay, transfer your film into the x-ray box. No matter how lazy the security people are, they will not X-ray what they think is your X-ray film.

Shooter
    35mm
    lol, that a cool idea.

btw, is d76 powder in original pack allowed to fly?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    btw, is d76 powder in original pack allowed to fly?
    Probably, neither B&H nor Freestyle note any shipping restrictions for it.
    How the security people might react to it, if the spot it, is an entirely different matter though.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin