Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,624   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I develop all of the [little] 4x5 that I do in trays without a problem.

Use 8x10 trays (at least), fill them up with enough liquid, and start developing 1 sheet at a time, and there shouldn't be much of an issue. If there are multiple sheets floating around in a tray, scratching can become a problem.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    One thing that hepled me eliminate scratches completely (at least w 8x10) is changing the orientation of the film. I now place it perpendicular to the tray, so the the film's short side is on the tray's long side. This keeps the film pinned down along one axis, and makes it much easier to keep the stack lined up. I do it w the tray's wide side facing me, so the film is in a 'portrait' orientation.

Shooter
    35mm RF

I am liking the CombiPlan

I just started 4x5 processing for the first time last week. I almost passed on the Combiplan since there were so many negative remarks about it. But I finally found someone who recommended it and I'm glad I got it. I have already developed 40+ sheets without any problems.

I had read you could develop 12 b&w at once by backing up the sheets, but that was not really successful. Otherwise, six sheets at a time worked just great and development was very even.

It does leak somewhat when turned upside down, but I just do my inversions over a sink and it's not really a problem. It is also pretty delicate, but it certainly works as advertised. Just treat it with kid gloves...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use Jovo's and George Collier's method in 5x7 trays, but with an added twist. I'm right handed, so I angle the trays at about 45 degrees to the right so the bottom right corner is closest. This gives a more comfortable pulling of the bottom sheet. Under the top left corner of the trays is slid something a little thinner than a bottle cap; this creates a slight down hill slope for the negatives that keeps them nestled into the lowest corner. (I started lifting the one corner of the tray when I used to use highly dilute developer and reduced agitation in 8x10 trays for minus development, because the negatives would meander out of alignment and then couldn't tell which negative went in first). Just make sure, as you're getting ready to drop a negative on top of the stack, to get its edges to 'tap' the bottom right corner of the tray before you drop it back in the developer.

This is all seems more complicated in written form!

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i guess i am lucky
    i have been processing film in open trays for about 10 ( or 13?) years
    never had problems. maybe 1 with scratches in all that time.
    i process 4x5 in 5x7 trays, once in a blue moon in 8x10 ...
    i never process less than 8 sheets, and have shuffled upto 28 sheets at once.
    i guess it takes practice and luck ...

john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the responses, as usual some great help on APUG!
    DT

Shooter
    Large Format
    [QUOTE=Bruce Osgood;545150]Can't help you with film choice's but beware of the inevitable scratches and fingerprints. Fill the trays with as much liquid as you can. Use 8X10 trays for 4x5 or 5x7 film. I used 5X7 trays for 4X5 and regret it---I do not use hardener in the fix's.

QUOTE]

Bruce, this just goes to show you how everyone is different.

Before I developed in trays the first time, I read everything I could, but NO ONE told me that film, once immersed in developer, takes on the surface viscosity of eels. I put my little stack of film in an 8x10 tray and they went every direction they could. I bought a Jobo soon after.

Also, NEVER EVER EVER develop film without hardener in the fix. In my case, I might as well scratch them with a nail before loading the film holders.

If you must develop in trays, and you are hopeless with the manual techniques others have described, and you can't afford a second hand Jobo, get a slosher.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Wallace View Post

Also, NEVER EVER EVER develop film without hardener in the fix. In my case, I might as well scratch them with a nail before loading the film holders.
    Sorry Don, I took a little mental leap there. I've been using Pyrocat HD developer that does not use hardened fix. You are right regarding traditional developers of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i would not recomment hardener at all.
    it is difficult to wash hardened film and paper
    (if you do archival processing)
    ... ilford, kodak and others have recommended against using hardener ....
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Don't use hardener either.

Murray

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin