Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,918   Online: 794

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't use hardener with paper. I will always use it with film. I also use a hypo clearing agent and wash film a long time. But for me, it is just too risky without hardener for film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well, first the items mentioned in prior posts that are different from what I do: since I use PMK, I use non-hardening fixer. I change the orientation of the negatives in the tray by rotating 90 degrees each "quarter of total time" (i.e. if my time is 12 minutes, I rotate the stack one-quarter turn each 3 minutes). I also develop emulsion side down, but this is personal preference, I think you will find roughly 50% of people who tray develop do emulsion up, the others emulsion down. Lastly, I think the biggest item impacting scratching is the amount of liquid in the trays. The more liquid (i.e. the "deeper" the liquid) the less likely you are to scratch. I think it is those who are trying to economize on chemicals who have the most problems.
    Regards, Pete Lewin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i guess i am lucky
    i have been processing film in open trays for about 10 ( or 13?) years
    never had problems. maybe 1 with scratches in all that time.
    i process 4x5 in 5x7 trays, once in a blue moon in 8x10 ...
    i never process less than 8 sheets, and have shuffled upto 28 sheets at once.
    i guess it takes practice and luck ...

john
    Hi John,
    just curious what developer you use? I use PMK pyro and I think that with pyro and pyrocat developers, using the 8x10 trays with 4x5 film becomes much more important. I think that pyro developers have more problems with uneven development due to turbulence in the tray than conventional developers do.

Dan

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    Hi John,
    just curious what developer you use? I use PMK pyro and I think that with pyro and pyrocat developers, using the 8x10 trays with 4x5 film becomes much more important. I think that pyro developers have more problems with uneven development due to turbulence in the tray than conventional developers do.

Dan
    hi dan

i use a few different developers for sheets
    mostly i use ansco 130 (shhh, i know it is for paper! )
    within the last year i started use sprint film developer ( sort of like d76 )
    again. used it for a long time, and strayed. its kind of nice

never used pryo developers ... always wanted to though ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    Hi John,

Dan
    Dan, just to provide a slightly different approach: I use PMK in the food storage containers you can buy in a super market, I think something like 6x8". I got the idea from Ken Lee's website, the section on processing. The containers are deeper than 8x10 trays (at least for me, more depth = less chance for scratches) and the reduced surface area (48 sq in vs. 80 sq in) means less PMK oxidation during processing. Rotating the negatives periodically, as I mentioned in my earlier post, seems to eliminate uneven development, since any turbulence is evenly distributed.
    Regards, Pete Lewin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palewin View Post
    Dan, just to provide a slightly different approach: I use PMK in the food storage containers you can buy in a super market, I think something like 6x8". I got the idea from Ken Lee's website, the section on processing. The containers are deeper than 8x10 trays (at least for me, more depth = less chance for scratches) and the reduced surface area (48 sq in vs. 80 sq in) means less PMK oxidation during processing. Rotating the negatives periodically, as I mentioned in my earlier post, seems to eliminate uneven development, since any turbulence is evenly distributed.
    Hi Pete,
    sounds interesting - to be honest, I develop most of my film in a Jobo. I have only used tray development a few times when I wanted to experiment with minimal agitation to see if I got more edge effects. In that case I processed 1 sheet at a time.

Dan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin